The Student Room Group

Any tips, tricks or recommendations before doing a PhD degree ?

Any tips, tricks or recommendations before doing a PhD degree and any tips for the application part ?
Hi, I'm currently doing a PhD in Chemistry at the University of Southampton so hopefully can help. I think it's important to be sure you have a keen interest in the research area as it's a big commitment (imagine focusing on one lecture for the length of a degree). Make sure you've researched the area and have good knowledge to show to potential interviewers, as well as the Supervisor's previous work and research interests. Having previous research experience in that area is also beneficial (e.g undergrad dissertation). I think the most important part for the interview is showing your enthusiasm and resilience. These are the two most important factors that will keep you going even during the hardest time of a PhD.

Hope this helps :smile:
Rob
PhD Chemistry Student
Student Ambassador
Regular tutorials with your supervisor, always do your homework, read freely and widely but always be on the lookout for key articles/research in your field, network with other PhD students, attend conferences, get Endnote bibliographic software (and do any training if offered by your uni) and start building your References List from the off.
Reply 3
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi, I'm currently doing a PhD in Chemistry at the University of Southampton so hopefully can help. I think it's important to be sure you have a keen interest in the research area as it's a big commitment (imagine focusing on one lecture for the length of a degree). Make sure you've researched the area and have good knowledge to show to potential interviewers, as well as the Supervisor's previous work and research interests. Having previous research experience in that area is also beneficial (e.g undergrad dissertation). I think the most important part for the interview is showing your enthusiasm and resilience. These are the two most important factors that will keep you going even during the hardest time of a PhD.

Hope this helps :smile:
Rob
PhD Chemistry Student
Student Ambassador

Can I ask out of curiosity, why did you do a PhD?
Reply 4
Original post by Andi.0k
Can I ask out of curiosity, why did you do a PhD?

For the craic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending