The Student Room Group

Economics Personal Statement tips, help etc

I am in Year 12 and I have been thinking of doing economics for degree level. As economics is a competitive course, is there anything I can do besides academia that would enable me to have a better chance of getting into top unis like LSE?
Original post by sarkar97
I am in Year 12 and I have been thinking of doing economics for degree level. As economics is a competitive course, is there anything I can do besides academia that would enable me to have a better chance of getting into top unis like LSE?

I sent my personal statement off last week, and the feedback I got was that it's vital to include information about books you have read, and any conferences you have been to. If you can then evaluate what you got from those in your personal statement, it can really show your genuine interest in economics.

It's also important to have a little bit which shows that you have other skills, for example, if you are captain of a sport, or a prefect or something like that...
Reply 2
Original post by mobbsy91
I sent my personal statement off last week, and the feedback I got was that it's vital to include information about books you have read, and any conferences you have been to. If you can then evaluate what you got from those in your personal statement, it can really show your genuine interest in economics.

It's also important to have a little bit which shows that you have other skills, for example, if you are captain of a sport, or a prefect or something like that...

Ah, I see. Thanks. Also, how important is work experience in banks etc ? Is it vital to have it or not? And good luck getting into your preferred uni. If you don't mind, which unis did you apply to?
Original post by sarkar97
Ah, I see. Thanks. Also, how important is work experience in banks etc ? Is it vital to have it or not? And good luck getting into your preferred uni. If you don't mind, which unis did you apply to?

Well, I actually did work experience at Barclays, and put it in - my tutor said it was important, but just as a side thing to show interest in that field.

I'm applying for Warwick, Nottingham, UEA (conditional, (unconditional if firm)), Surrey, Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending