The Student Room Group

Stuck in a rutt… shall I drop out?

Hiiii, this could be long so if you'd be kind enough to give your advice that would be great thank you.

I never wanted to go to university when I was young, January 2013 came and I wrote a personal statement in a night and applied the next day with no self belief that I'd get in. September came and I got in, got scared and took a year out. I didn't do much on my year out, couldn't find and job, struggled with some mental issues and stayed in the house with my ill mother. But all of this geared me up for starting my journalism course this September, I was excited (and obviously scared).

So since I've been here which is almost 3 months I've been on the biggest emotional roller coaster of my life, almost changing courses even during the first month of learning. I changed my mind and decided to stick it out but here I am almost at the end of the semester with deadlines coming out of my ears and I'm still miserable.

I miss home and I am feeling more and more alone even though I'm surrounded by amazing people here. I want to leave but I also don't want to. I have no idea what I'd do if I left, I've always wanted a career in television/magazines and I wouldn't be able to get that back in my home town. But then I sit here and think about how sad I am and wonder if thats what I even want anymore...

I'm honestly a mess, does anyone have any advice?
Education is the key to success. Picture this, attaining a degree in journalism will enable you to pursue the career you desire and all you have to do is tolerate University for 2-4 years (and I heard it gets better) - It's better than a lifetime of regret. What are you going to do if you drop out? Go home? Sit around? Nobody's going to take care of you.
Reply 2
Original post by High Stakes
Education is the key to success. Picture this, attaining a degree in journalism will enable you to pursue the career you desire and all you have to do is tolerate University for 2-4 years (and I heard it gets better) - It's better than a lifetime of regret. What are you going to do if you drop out? Go home? Sit around? Nobody's going to take care of you.

'Tolerate' something that costs £9,000 a year? That's also an issue, why am I trying to stick something out when I'm not sure I'm enjoying it. And no, I wouldn't sit around I know I'd have to get a job and I'm looking after myself right now so I think I'll be fine doing that if I did leave but thanks for your input.
Original post by oxoshannon
'Tolerate' something that costs £9,000 a year? That's also an issue, why am I trying to stick something out when I'm not sure I'm enjoying it. And no, I wouldn't sit around I know I'd have to get a job and I'm looking after myself right now so I think I'll be fine doing that if I did leave but thanks for your input.

Don't get offended. I'm just being very blunt. Sure, you can go get a job now, but what is your potential with the qualifications you hold right now?

If you're that stubborn on not going to University, why not go do an apprenticeship or something? Instead of thinking you'll get a random job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending