The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 1
Not really. Iv just started MMU and havn't seen and trouble or anything yet, aslong as you stick to the main city areas and student areas then everyones fine, just don't decide to go venturing out to moss side on your own and 3am in the morning :p:

On a side note Manchester is a absolutely amazing city, don't be put off by the few bad stories. The student accommodation is generally in the city centre and not in the bad areas, especially MMU. If you are worried about being central to everything thats going on then live a little further out. I'm at Broomhurst Halls in didsbury which is about a 30min bus journey from the union and surrounded by trees and squirrals. Fantastic when you come home and want to sleep and not be kept up bt drunken students wandering around outside :smile:
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
lol thanks :biggrin:
Reply 3
:smile: No probs, just PM me if you wanna know anything else about MMU/Manchester
Reply 4
The shootings happened in a council estate, not too far from the MMU campus but not close either. It isnt somewhere you would need to go through every day.

I'm glad I made the decision to come to manchester, its been brilliant so far, so yes, consider it. Most student stuff happens on the one long road anyway.
Reply 5
I've lived in Manchester 24 years and never seen any trouble yet :frown: Don't believe all the crap the media spout out.
Reply 6
Manchester is no worse for crime that any other major city in the country. Be sensible about where you go and what you do and you will be fine. And you will have the chance to experience what, in my humble opinion, is one of the best places in the country.

But I'm biased having been born here.
Reply 7
You only hear it in the news because it is bad! There's plenty of great stuff that happens in Manchester which makes it one of the most fun and culturally diverse places in England in my opinion.

I've had a a bit of a crappy week in terms of crime in Manchester so I have taken a week out to stay with friends and clear my head but I am not letting this 1 incident in the whole 2 and a half years I have been here stop my education or my experience of Manchester.

You just gotta be street savvy i.e. don't walk around on your own in the dark with phones and iPod's showing etc etc and you will be ok. Just bear in mind that criminals are opportunist...so don't give them the opportunity!

Listen to AT82, I mean like they said they have been in Manchester for YEARS and all advice I have taken from AT82 has been spot on.
Reply 8
Sorry to hear you have been a victim of crime. My sister was as well her house got broken into in Fallowfield a few weeks back. They went out, left the bathroom window open, didn't set the alarm and left the front door locked only with the yale catch (i.e providing th burger with an easy escape route).
Reply 9
Yep its opportunist!
I wasn't directly a victim...my flat mate was mugged outside our halls and subsequently the attackers used the keys they stole to try and break in to our flat but broke the key in the lock because LUCKILY the locks had been changed. (our silly halls engraves where each key is for on the key! that's just asking for trouble!)
Basically it depends on where you choose to live and how many friends you have. Just like with most cities at night you need to be in large groups (preferably more then 4 unless your big and bulky)...again with most cities if you dont flash valuables such as mobiles and mp3 then you should be ok...

MMU is near moss side which is rough but not the roughest, this is where the most recent gun killing happened. Students are mostly targetted for pcik pocketing during the day and muggings at night...

On my first week here 4 people were violently mugged and 2 of them went home the next day and are not coming back...

The crime rate is still high but common sence reduces the risk...
Still come to look round but if you prefer quieter places and safer places then this is the wrong city...too many students, its a gold mine for crooks
Reply 11
I still don't get it, I have lived here 24 yeaes, been through Moss Side at least 25,000 times now and never been a victim of crime. I just don't understand how people can spend a week here and be mugged. People must be really stupid to let that happen.

The simply rule is don't look like a confused victim. I am a weak twit but have been passed Moss Side ganta's loads times and never had a problem. Just don't look scared.
Reply 12
Yeah but its a lot easier to mug a student where there are plenty to hunt.

Latest

Trending

Trending