The Student Room Group

Optometry pre-reg

Hi,
I have just finished my second year of optometry and I am absolutely clueless on how to get a pre-reg position. How and when do you apply and what things will make you stand out among other candidates? Also is there a possibility that you will be left with no pre-reg position during the pre-ref year due to all the practices you applied to not accepting you?

Thank you.
Original post by jellymilk
Hi,
I have just finished my second year of optometry and I am absolutely clueless on how to get a pre-reg position. How and when do you apply and what things will make you stand out among other candidates? Also is there a possibility that you will be left with no pre-reg position during the pre-ref year due to all the practices you applied to not accepting you?

Thank you.

Hey, It's normal to be worried about potentially not being able to secure a pre-reg place. There are a number of things that can be done to increase your chances of securing a pre-reg place. Firstly, try your best to secure an Optical Assistant job at a multiple like Specsavers, Vision Express or Boots. Sometimes they take students who work for them on as their pre-reg. You can also go into stores in your area asking if they take pre-regs on and if they could consider you for 2024, which is when you graduate. To answer your second question, yes there is a possibility that you may not get a pre-reg place, the main reason students struggle to get a pre-reg is because the area they are applying to has way too many applications. For example, think of students who live in Manchester and also go to Manchester to study optometry. A lot of the students want to stay local and will try and get their pre-reg at an optician in Manchester. It's not a good idea to try and stay local if you've not managed to secure a pre-reg locally already. I would suggest trying an optician that is away from a university that offers optometry.

I hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest