The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Is it just me that feels cripplingly lonely?

I'm a fine art student and honestly I haven't really gotten to know anybody, or even said 'hi' more than once a week to people I see in my studio or flat.

I've always been a loner so I'm used to it and I can entertain myself (I'm a gamer and I watch a lot of catch up tv and I also have a girlfriend that I see on weekends), but I always thought uni would be different, that I would make a change and my life would be completely different and full of new people.

I realise you may be thinking I'm simply not making an effort but honestly I do try, I approach people in my studio and try talk to them a bit and my flatmates too, probably doesn't help that all my flatmates other than 1 (but he's foreign and I think a bit older, I'm 19) and studio sharers are female and I'm male, I feel that is just an excuse though. Anyway I don't know what's the norm here but I'm kind of struggling being alone.

I think I may not have made friends with my flatmates because my girlfriend is at another uni in London and I go see her a lot and she comes here, I've been invited out a couple times by my flatmates but it's always when she's here, my girlfriend seems awkward about it and says "you can go but I'll stay here" I know that trap and I avoid it like the plague of course, but now my flatmates don't ask anymore which is getting me down since they come in early in the morning together after seeming to have had a great time at the bar or whatever and I don't have the confidence to just invite myself along, for fear of rejection or the awkwardness created by being an unwanted tag-along, also they're mainly girls how can I just ask some of them to a bar for a drink and a chat without feeling like it might be coming off wrong, I only see one at a time in the kitchen and I'd feel way to creepy knocking on their doors and making them all come in for some sort of horrifically tense and unwanted group meeting. One of them tried to get into my room while drunk, the rest of them laughed along, I said they woke me up because it was early morning and I didn't want to seem like a loser for staying up till 3 playing video games on my own.

I read that people make better friends on their course but honestly I've not had the chance to speak for more than 5 minutes to anyone on my course. I am quite shy and maybe that's my downfall but I would still appreciate some advice.
Original post by Borra
I'm a fine art student and honestly I haven't really gotten to know anybody, or even said 'hi' more than once a week to people I see in my studio or flat.

I've always been a loner so I'm used to it and I can entertain myself (I'm a gamer and I watch a lot of catch up tv and I also have a girlfriend that I see on weekends), but I always thought uni would be different, that I would make a change and my life would be completely different and full of new people.

I realise you may be thinking I'm simply not making an effort but honestly I do try, I approach people in my studio and try talk to them a bit and my flatmates too, probably doesn't help that all my flatmates other than 1 (but he's foreign and I think a bit older, I'm 19) and studio sharers are female and I'm male, I feel that is just an excuse though. Anyway I don't know what's the norm here but I'm kind of struggling being alone.

I think I may not have made friends with my flatmates because my girlfriend is at another uni in London and I go see her a lot and she comes here, I've been invited out a couple times by my flatmates but it's always when she's here, my girlfriend seems awkward about it and says "you can go but I'll stay here" I know that trap and I avoid it like the plague of course, but now my flatmates don't ask anymore which is getting me down since they come in early in the morning together after seeming to have had a great time at the bar or whatever and I don't have the confidence to just invite myself along, for fear of rejection or the awkwardness created by being an unwanted tag-along, also they're mainly girls how can I just ask some of them to a bar for a drink and a chat without feeling like it might be coming off wrong, I only see one at a time in the kitchen and I'd feel way to creepy knocking on their doors and making them all come in for some sort of horrifically tense and unwanted group meeting. One of them tried to get into my room while drunk, the rest of them laughed along, I said they woke me up because it was early morning and I didn't want to seem like a loser for staying up till 3 playing video games on my own.

I read that people make better friends on their course but honestly I've not had the chance to speak for more than 5 minutes to anyone on my course. I am quite shy and maybe that's my downfall but I would still appreciate some advice.

Come on now, obviously you're not that inept with people or you wouldn't have a girlfriend! You must conversate with her a lot and feel relaxed around her so try to simulate that with people you meet.

Try not to be so self negative because you are being like way too hard on yourself. If you go I with the mentality that you're not going to be successful that will impinge on your success. you have to make every action you make a strong one if you want success socially or otherwise. If you're an art student then why don't you talk about what you know - art. Open yourself up to different kinds of art more and then everyone's art will be of some interest to you, even if you don't love their work or its not your thing. Just try to genuinely understand where they're coming from with their artwork because if you take a genuine interest in people they will respond to you. if you can think of any relevant artists or techniques then tell them, etc. Other than that just be more open to talking to people at any chance you get, if you see someone you recognise in the corridor or in the canteen or in a lecture then give them a nod. try not to be absorbed in your own activities too much and be more aware of people around you. im sure there are others on your course feeling the same. Have you not had group crits or something because then you'd get a chance to talk? you can always join societies too. people strike up friendships at all different points, youre only one/two months in to a three or four year course. friendship groups will change and there will be openings. good luck!
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
It sounds like you've been spending so much time with your girlfriend you've not been able to connect with your flatmates. People never want to be a third wheel and intrude on a couple when they're together, so that makes people back off when your girlfriend is there with you, which seems to be often. If you want to bond more with your flatmates you'll have to spend less time with your girlfriend and more time with them.
Reply 3
Original post by yabbayabba
It sounds like you've been spending so much time with your girlfriend you've not been able to connect with your flatmates. People never want to be a third wheel and intrude on a couple when they're together, so that makes people back off when your girlfriend is there with you, which seems to be often. If you want to bond more with your flatmates you'll have to spend less time with your girlfriend and more time with them.

Thank you for both your posts, they're what I needed to hear, honestly you're right that I'm not that awful at speaking to people it's just that when it becomes time to take it further like doing an activity together I mess It up, a month ago this nice girl and I talked a few times about art and how we're settling in etc.. Then she said she felt worried about me because I don't seem to have made any friends and I didn't want to seem desperate or for her to feel sorry for me so I said something along the lines of "don't worry I'm fine I've never been a friend person anyway, I don't like going out drinking and stuff so I'm fine with my own company" and now I realise I may have shot her down at doing something together and maybe becoming friends.

You're right about my girlfriend too I do spend an awful lot of time with her, it's because I initially ended up with her by acting over confident and that wasn't me so I eventually became myself with her but she had some trust issues since I was basically a completely different person a few months into our relationship all of a sudden. So we ended up spending a lot of time together so she could basically get to know me again and now when I don't see her for a couple days she gets very down and doesn't sleep if I'm not there and stuff, honestly I don't know what to do because even though I don't mind spending all that time with her since I don't have much human contact otherwise, I can't see her 'all' the time since I'd miss important course stuff, I've tried to convince her to see a doctor who can refer her to a counsellor or a therapist who might understand why she can't sleep alone but she doesn't seem into that idea, I'm also worried if I push too hard I'll just push her away.
Normally I wouldn't post for advice somewhere but I've been dealing with my friendship skills for a long time without much success and my girlfriend hasn't been able to sleep for a while either.

I'm thinking I should tell that girl that I didn't want her to feel sorry for me and that's why I said I was fine being a loner and that she's right that I haven't made many friends and see if she wants to go do something, but I worry that she'll be weirded out by my honesty and simply brush me off, should I go about it in a different way?
Don't be brutally honest, that'll drive people away and they'll think you're a weirdo. Just ask the girl if she wants to go and do something along with some other people that she knows (so it doesn't seem like a date) and take it from there. It seems like you simply need to be more present in other people's lives, that's the only issue. Really, even the most socially inept people are capable of making friends simply because they show up.
Reply 5
Original post by yabbayabba
Don't be brutally honest, that'll drive people away and they'll think you're a weirdo. Just ask the girl if she wants to go and do something along with some other people that she knows (so it doesn't seem like a date) and take it from there. It seems like you simply need to be more present in other people's lives, that's the only issue. Really, even the most socially inept people are capable of making friends simply because they show up.

I waited to reply because I wanted to try it out, I spent most of the day in my studio and talked to this girl and she invited me along to a talk and then drinks and I got to know a bunch of people I'd already met some more and we got along great and I was invited to something else too and I said I could go but my girlfriend was upset and I had to go see her, honestly it seemed casual so I'll just explain when I next see them I doubt it will be awkward, I felt ill when I first went out but I thought I best go since if you miss the first time you're invited you're probably not getting invited again. So it should be fine I think, anyway thank you for your help it really worked and has made my life better, much appreciated
No. I can count the number of true friends that I have on one hand. I wish I had more.
Original post by Borra
I waited to reply because I wanted to try it out, I spent most of the day in my studio and talked to this girl and she invited me along to a talk and then drinks and I got to know a bunch of people I'd already met some more and we got along great and I was invited to something else too and I said I could go but my girlfriend was upset and I had to go see her, honestly it seemed casual so I'll just explain when I next see them I doubt it will be awkward, I felt ill when I first went out but I thought I best go since if you miss the first time you're invited you're probably not getting invited again. So it should be fine I think, anyway thank you for your help it really worked and has made my life better, much appreciated

Glad it worked for you and you have a space where it is possible to meet people. Others don't, so take advantage of it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending