The Student Room Group

IB student applying for psychology without biology

Hi guys!

I'm in year 11, choosing my subjects. I really want to study psychology, and I've looked at a lot of courses (Psychological and Behavioural Sciences at Cambridge (v v long shot, but still), Natural Sciences at Durham, Cognitive Science at Edinburgh, Psychology BSc at Bristol). All of them specify really high grades, which I'm two years away from properly worrying about yet. Some of them want two sciences at HL; Cambridge wants HL Mathematics. I want to study:

Maths HL
Physics HL
History HL
English Lit SL
Spanish B SL
Economics SL

(I know how hard HL Maths is; I love Maths, and I'm prepared for it.) I don't want to do Biology HL, because my school's option topic is ecology, and OH MY GOD NEVER AGAIN. I don't want to do Biology SL, either, because Biology SL is what everyone who does IB and hates science does, and I don't want to be in a class where no one really wants to be there. Also, unis don't care about SLs, and if that's the case I really want to study Economics.

Sorry for the long post. Do you think I could be accepted for these courses without Biology, or would maths and physics show enough understanding of the scientific method?

Thanks!
Rx
Reply 1
Original post by Romula
Hi guys!

I'm in year 11, choosing my subjects. I really want to study psychology, and I've looked at a lot of courses (Psychological and Behavioural Sciences at Cambridge (v v long shot, but still), Natural Sciences at Durham, Cognitive Science at Edinburgh, Psychology BSc at Bristol). All of them specify really high grades, which I'm two years away from properly worrying about yet. Some of them want two sciences at HL; Cambridge wants HL Mathematics. I want to study:

Maths HL
Physics HL
History HL
English Lit SL
Spanish B SL
Economics SL

(I know how hard HL Maths is; I love Maths, and I'm prepared for it.) I don't want to do Biology HL, because my school's option topic is ecology, and OH MY GOD NEVER AGAIN. I don't want to do Biology SL, either, because Biology SL is what everyone who does IB and hates science does, and I don't want to be in a class where no one really wants to be there. Also, unis don't care about SLs, and if that's the case I really want to study Economics.

Sorry for the long post. Do you think I could be accepted for these courses without Biology, or would maths and physics show enough understanding of the scientific method?

Thanks!
Rx

I've looked at psychology courses myself and what I can say is that a minimum of one higher level science (preferably biology as it links to psychology) is required by many of the reputable universities. So if you're interested in applying to the courses you've mentioned above then you must fulfill the subject requirements. There is no way around.

Why are you taking higher level physics? Your subject combination is WAY off for someone who intends on applying for psychology. Your subject combination makes it seem like you're interested in applying for STEM type courses. I recommend you drop both higher level physics as it is completely irrelevant as far as psychology is concerned. Take higher level biology and whatever other higher you wish, be it maths or whatever. If you're strongly considering applying for the psychology courses that require two sciences then you should consider taking higher level chemistry (instead of physics) as it it seems more relevant. In that case you won't be able to do economics but fulfilling the subject requirements is more important as you won't even be considered for any of the psychology courses you're considering if you don't.
Reply 2
Original post by Romula
Hi guys!

Maths HL
Physics HL
History HL
English Lit SL
Spanish B SL
Economics SL

Thanks!
Rx

You don't have to do Biology HL, any science is usually fine. Cambridge is the only one asking for Maths at HL as far as I know, so really HL Physics and Maths should be absolutely fine. As long as you get good grades and write a good personal statement (and in the cases where it applies, if your interview goes well), you shoul get offers :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you so much for all the replies. I really want to do physics, and I don't really want to do biology, so it's so good to hear that's fine :smile: Good luck to everyone! Rx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending