The Student Room Group

Taking time off work, need advice

Hi,

I have recently been experiencing bullying in the workplace and I physically feel weak.

How do I take time off work, being sick?

Do you have to prove that you are sick?
Speak to your employer about the bullying.
Reply 2
Original post by Safiya122
Speak to your employer about the bullying.

Who, my line manager?

A colleague (not my line manager) has been talking to me in a berating manner
Original post by stuser
Who, my line manager?

A colleague (not my line manager) has been talking to me in a berating manner

Yeah speak to your line manager or who is incharge, about this.
Reply 4
Yeah speak to your line manager or who is incharge, about this.

I'm scared I will come across as a snitch
Original post by stuser
I'm scared I will come across as a snitch

No - why would you? You're being bullied, you shouldn't need to put up with that.
Reply 6
No - why would you? You're being bullied, you shouldn't need to put up with that.

Yeah, but this person will be supervising me for the next few months.

I feel scared in a way
Original post by stuser
Yeah, but this person will be supervising me for the next few months.

I feel scared in a way

Don't be - this person clearly thinks it's okay and it's not. And if you don't tell then they're just going to continue doing it.
Reply 8
Don't be - this person clearly thinks it's okay and it's not. And if you don't tell then they're just going to continue doing it.

A few people in my department have noticed this, and have supported me as I recently joined.

I just have this feeling that if I do report it, then the 'bully' may deny it.

Basically, this person has been speaking to me in a berating manner, and it has made me feel really uncomfortable. Apparently, this is 'bullying' but I am not too sure
Original post by stuser
A few people in my department have noticed this, and have supported me as I recently joined.

I just have this feeling that if I do report it, then the 'bully' may deny it.

Basically, this person has been speaking to me in a berating manner, and it has made me feel really uncomfortable. Apparently, this is 'bullying' but I am not too sure

It is. And the other employees could back you up
Reply 10
It is. And the other employees could back you up

Would then also class as 'bullying', as I am 'ganging' up on the bully?

How would it be dealt with for example? Would the manager have a quiet word or would s/he be keeping a close eye on me?
Original post by stuser
Would then also class as 'bullying', as I am 'ganging' up on the bully?

How would it be dealt with for example? Would the manager have a quiet word or would s/he be keeping a close eye on me?

Yeah that would be too. And most likely do both.
Reply 12
Yeah that would be too. And most likely do both.

I hope my situation gets better. It has been unfortunate for me so far, and thanks to some support from some nice people I feel a bit stronger than I previously was
Original post by stuser
I hope my situation gets better. It has been unfortunate for me so far, and thanks to some support from some nice people I feel a bit stronger than I previously was

It's okay, i wish you the best of luck and remember you don't deserve this :smile:
Reply 14
It's okay, i wish you the best of luck and remember you don't deserve this :smile:

I never knew that shouting and berating at someone counted as bullying.

I am being treated in this manner because I promised my colleague I would get the work done in a few days and instead it took a few weeks. Apparently, it still gives them no reason to treat me that way.

Some people told me that I have been brave to stand up with it, but I have finally decided enough is enough, and will no longer suffer in silence.

What sorts of tips/advice could you offer me. I have made one or two close friends who have supported me throughout this whole process.
Original post by stuser

I never knew that shouting and berating at someone counted as bullying.

I am being treated in this manner because I promised my colleague I would get the work done in a few days and instead it took a few weeks. Apparently, it still gives them no reason to treat me that way.

Some people told me that I have been brave to stand up with it, but I have finally decided enough is enough, and will no longer suffer in silence.

What sorts of tips/advice could you offer me. I have made one or two close friends who have supported me throughout this whole process.

Don't let anyone make you feel like s***. What I really learnt from high school was basically give it them back lol and they usually back off but that's not really a mature thing to do haha. But like don't get worried about being a snitch because you're not being a snitch, I know how bullying can affect your life - it's happened to me and what was worse was these girls were people i considered as friends. So if anything goes wrong and upsets/angers you at work, tell your line manager straight away - don't hold back because if you do, chances are you might not complain. And you have the right to be happy at work, if something is making you unhappy, do something about it.
Reply 16
Don't let anyone make you feel like s***. What I really learnt from high school was basically give it them back lol and they usually back off but that's not really a mature thing to do haha. But like don't get worried about being a snitch because you're not being a snitch, I know how bullying can affect your life - it's happened to me and what was worse was these girls were people i considered as friends. So if anything goes wrong and upsets/angers you at work, tell your line manager straight away - don't hold back because if you do, chances are you might not complain. And you have the right to be happy at work, if something is making you unhappy, do something about it.

True. As a young man, I feel very weak and embarrassed, however - with all the support I have been receiving I feel more confident doing something
Original post by stuser
True. As a young man, I feel very weak and embarrassed, however - with all the support I have been receiving I feel more confident doing something

That's good, I wish you the best of luck in tackling the bully, let me know how it goes :smile:
You really ought to speak to your manager regarding the bullying so that a through investigation will happen.
Bullying is a disciplinary offence.
You wont be considered a snitch, this is a work place not a play ground.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending