The Student Room Group

no motivation at uni

I am a first year law student and find myself having no motivation. I have multiple assignments coming up and loads of readings to catch up on. In the past I have managed to pull myself together but am struggling and just have no drive. advice ?
Reply 1
Oh you poor soul - this is where reality bites. No matter how much you love or hate the subject it just sits there waving at you and it won't write itself (no I'm not even going to suggest anything else)

Do you really love law? If you are having major doubts do something quickly and talk to your tutors or course admin for options as to what else you can do.

So for your assignments - Take a deep breath, lay it all out. Shut yourself off and make a start. Tell yourself you are not doing everything, just a little bit. Get a scaffold for each assignment so you have a plan or what it needs, and what research each section needs. Now take a break. Get the 'stickies' ready for any note worthy paragraphs and sources of inspiration. See how others are making headway, and talk to 2nd years to see how they survived the first term (or the first year) - Cast out for a life line (does it get better in year 2, year 3?)

Then at the next instalment, do part 1 of the first stage of whichever assignment scaffold bit takes your interest. If it doesn't toss a coin or write the name of each assignment on a piece of paper. Draw it out of a hat, a bowl, from the table. Do something imaginative to make things more exciting than they really are. Bookmark your pages then treat yourself to another lottery dip - expresso coffee, a bowl of sweets, running up and down the stairs, a walk outside etc etc. You create your own fun for a pretty wooden subject.

Convince yourself you are having the time of your life. Then if you say it enough times to yourself - you eventually believe it!

Hoping you can find the inspiration and the energy? Just grip it, do it - try not to put it off any more. You will honestly feel a whole lot better for having completed even a little bit of the stuff than sitting on it brooding and worrying, then not sleeping, and feeling even worse.
Original post by RedPandaBun
I am a first year law student and find myself having no motivation. I have multiple assignments coming up and loads of readings to catch up on. In the past I have managed to pull myself together but am struggling and just have no drive. advice ?

Hi there , I can relate with this feeling . I am a second year engineering student and I love what I'm studying but since the year began I haven't felt motivated to work because I have so much work to do. And like yourself I have always managed to pull myself together and I'm pretty sure I will be able to this year its just that currently I am overwhelmed and that is taking a huge toll on my productivity.
My advice is first of all to remember that this is normal , motivation runs out but discipline is what keeps us going. I believe in "No Zero Days' , which just means that everyday I do something for my coursework. That can be writing notes , starting an assignment , going over my slides , as long as I do something. The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time and that's how I'm hanging in there at the moment, one day at a time. You don't need to be motivated to be dedicated , just exercise discipline and do a little bit of work everyday.

I'm not sure which Uni you go to but there should be support on your campus to assist you. At DMU we have teams in place that help students and this can mean speaking to someone like your tutor for assistance or getting a help with time management or getting a therapy session.
I advise you to find out what kind of assistance is available to you on your campus , I hope this helps and Goodluck !
Cece
Energy Engineering
De Montfort University
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Muttly
Oh you poor soul - this is where reality bites. No matter how much you love or hate the subject it just sits there waving at you and it won't write itself (no I'm not even going to suggest anything else)

Do you really love law? If you are having major doubts do something quickly and talk to your tutors or course admin for options as to what else you can do.

So for your assignments - Take a deep breath, lay it all out. Shut yourself off and make a start. Tell yourself you are not doing everything, just a little bit. Get a scaffold for each assignment so you have a plan or what it needs, and what research each section needs. Now take a break. Get the 'stickies' ready for any note worthy paragraphs and sources of inspiration. See how others are making headway, and talk to 2nd years to see how they survived the first term (or the first year) - Cast out for a life line (does it get better in year 2, year 3?)

Then at the next instalment, do part 1 of the first stage of whichever assignment scaffold bit takes your interest. If it doesn't toss a coin or write the name of each assignment on a piece of paper. Draw it out of a hat, a bowl, from the table. Do something imaginative to make things more exciting than they really are. Bookmark your pages then treat yourself to another lottery dip - expresso coffee, a bowl of sweets, running up and down the stairs, a walk outside etc etc. You create your own fun for a pretty wooden subject.

Convince yourself you are having the time of your life. Then if you say it enough times to yourself - you eventually believe it!

Hoping you can find the inspiration and the energy? Just grip it, do it - try not to put it off any more. You will honestly feel a whole lot better for having completed even a little bit of the stuff than sitting on it brooding and worrying, then not sleeping, and feeling even worse.

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it... Currently attempting to 'just grip it'.
Also I don't know if it's the subject itself or university in general that is affecting my motivation. I find myself wishing that I took a year out to clear my head after a levels as, despite a very long summer, I don't think I was ready for more school! However, my pride will not allow me to drop out - so, my only option is to just continue riding the wave for the next 3 years... just hoping my passion for the subject will ignite itself at some point!

Hiya,

Trust me when I saw we’ve all been there! The first year was the hardest for me, as I hadn’t found a routine for studying and getting things done.

My advice now, write a list of everything you need to achieve and then break it down into what’s the priority and what can wait a little while. Once you’ve done that, you can start on something. Try not to think about it all or the whole assignment, as that can make things very overwhelming. I always start small. So even if that means, I start by creating a template for an assignment and then writing some notes for myself on what I need for that assignment. Then you can start chipping away at it.

I’ve found a diary and a desk calendar very helpful. I write down small daily goals in my diary at the end of each day and even write goals for days ahead. If I miss something one day, that becomes the priority the next day. I find this an easy manageable way to keep on top of things!

Sometimes it’s helpful to do something that helps you unwind before starting your assignment. I often go to the gym before I start anything. It helps clear my head and motivate me a little.

I hope this helps and good luck 🙂

Sophie (ARU)
Reply 5
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi there , I can relate with this feeling . I am a second year engineering student and I love what I'm studying but since the year began I haven't felt motivated to work because I have so much work to do. And like yourself I have always managed to pull myself together and I'm pretty sure I will be able to this year its just that currently I am overwhelmed and that is taking a huge toll on my productivity.
My advice is first of all to remember that this is normal , motivation runs out but discipline is what keeps us going. I believe in "No Zero Days' , which just means that everyday I do something for my coursework. That can be writing notes , starting an assignment , going over my slides , as long as I do something. The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time and that's how I'm hanging in there at the moment, one day at a time. You don't need to be motivated to be dedicated , just exercise discipline and do a little bit of work everyday.

I'm not sure which Uni you go to but there should be support on your campus to assist you. At DMU we have teams in place that help students and this can mean speaking to someone like your tutor for assistance or getting a help with time management or getting a therapy session.
I advise you to find out what kind of assistance is available to you on your campus , I hope this helps and Goodluck !
Cece
Energy Engineering
De Montfort University

Hey, thanks for the advice and taking the time to reply. It's reassuring that I am not alone and of course it's common to experience a lack of motivation but it's difficult to know where it comes from sometimes. But you're right, need to work on my discipline 👍

Hi there

I can really relate to your situation, finding motivation can be really difficult sometimes. As a third year law student, I experienced this throughout my degree, and it is important to be able to overcome it and continue with your studies.

I find that it is quite normal to fall behind on work sometimes, and there will often be times where you will have to deal with multiple deadlines at the same time. For myself, I find the major issue is actually getting started- I feel overwhelmed by the workload, so I try to evade it completely (which I would not recommend).

Here's some tips that I found useful myself, perhaps they would work for you?
- prioritise certain work> especially coursework (even if it means falling a bit behind on seminars, coursework are where your grades come from, so it is absolutely key that you try your best on these).
- do not study in your room, I find forcing myself to go to the library (whether studying alone, or with friends both help me break the cycle of not doing work)
- go to your lectures and seminars (even though you can have access to recordings, I would recommend attending them. Where you are in an environment where others are studying, it would help motivate you).
- Put away any distractions, turn off notifications on your phone for an hour or two and just focus on completing work. (Having one hour of quality work is better than having two hours of work where you are constantly distracted).

The most difficult part is always getting started, give it a try, and I hope you will find it easier to get motivated afterwards. It is normal to take break sometimes during your study, but do not let taking breaks become the norm.

Good luck!
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi there!

I’m sorry to hear you’re feeling unmotivated at the moment, I think everyone at university finds themself at this point one time or another! From my experience, ensuring I take my time and not put pressure on myself really helps - sort of tricking my brain into thinking routinely about studying/producing work. I plan a schedule of at least in task I want to achieve that day and sort of build upon it from there.

You can also reach out to your professors, classmates, or academic advisors for guidance and support. They can provide valuable insights or resources to help you navigate through your studies. Remember to prioritise getting enough rest, eating well, and engaging in regular physical activity. Taking care of your overall well-being can positively impact your motivation and focus.

[start]Again, it's totally normal to experience ups and downs in motivation. If you continue to struggle, consider talking to a counsellor or seeking additional support services at your university.[/start]

Hope this helps,
Ellie

Hi there,

I'm so sorry to read that you're struggling, though I want to let you know that this is normal with anything challenging - and a law degree is challenging! Do you fundamentally enjoy the course? If so, I think that you can work through it. Try chatting to your tutor about managing your workload and keeping on top of things.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Reply 9

Hey, i truly understand you when i was in first year it was hard but you will make it.

Hi there,

The first year of uni can be really hard, especially as you get into the winter months, it becomes dark and cold and motivation can be even harder! I personally find that a good way to motivate myself is to put timers on. I will put a 40 minute timer on and for that time I will sit at my desk and work, then I will have a break and do something else, whether its making dinner, putting some washing in, having a nice shower or going to the gym/a club. This helps me to stay motivated as I know it is not very long to concentrate for. I find it really hard if I just sit at my desk with no time in mind I find it overwhelming.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending