The Student Room Group

I don't know what kind of Animation to study at University

Hey
I am currently doing a UAL Foundation year in Art, Design and Media.

Just a little bit about me: I am working at a Distinction grade and I have completed A levels in English Literature, Law and ICT. I would like to pursue a career in Animation but I don't know what kind of Animation to study.

I am really really interested in stop-motion animation (Like Tim Burton's, an example would be Coraline). I love making sculptures and sets and working with models to make my animations from. I find this way to be more creative but I do not know what kind of course to look into.

I have looked at 2D and 3D Animation, I have worked with 2D before and have really enjoyed it. 3D Animation is more computer based (like 2D) and not exactly sculptures like I thought it would be.

I love making my own characters and making 3D models of them, I don't mind working with computers etc, I just want the course to be really creative that involves drawing, illustrating, sculpture making etc.

I would be really grateful if anyone could give me some advice and which Uni I should consider (:

Thankyou
(edited 9 years ago)
I had a quick look into this last year as it was something I was considering. I work in 3d modelling at the minute, and after using solid works for product design animations decided to give my hand at a bit of Maya work. It looks like most degrees in animation cover all aspects of it - so you'll do modules in 3d animation, stop motion - as opposed to a degree entirely based on one discipline. Best bet is to have a look at some universities you think you might like to study at, check whether or not they have animation courses, and then fire the admissions team for that department an email, see if they can give you a prospectus or some further information into how indepth you go in one area of animation. Best of luck.
Reply 2
Original post by TwoLimes
Best bet is to have a look at some universities you think you might like to study at, check whether or not they have animation courses, and then fire the admissions team for that department an email, see if they can give you a prospectus or some further information into how indepth you go in one area of animation. Best of luck.

Thank you very much for your reply, I will definitely do this right now (:

Quick Reply

Latest