The Student Room Group

How do you revise for history?

I have mocks coming up for Medicine through time and life in Germany and have no clue how to revise for them :frown:

Any tips or advice would be most grateful.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Cherx
I have mocks coming up for Medicine through time and life in Germany and have no clue how to revise for them :frown:

I never studied that at all, but I reckon you need to start shortening your notes. When I do my history revision, I like to be at the point where I just have a list of dates/names/ acts passed, and use them as triggers for extra info. Does that make sense? Probably not. Sorry.
Reply 2
Practice essay writing. Ensure that you're answering the question, have evidence to back up your points, and are writing in the pee style. Also analyse and say how far, constantly use extent words. (Assuming this is AS level.. but a lot of it still applies whether it's GCSE and definitely for A2 as well.)

All the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Nae
Practice essay writing. Ensure that you're answering the question, have evidence to back up your points, and are writing in the pee style. Also analyse and say how far, constantly use extent words. (Assuming this is AS level.. but a lot of it still applies whether it's GCSE and definitely for A2 as well.)

All the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So right for A2, definitely. I think my hand is going to drop off.
Reply 4
Original post by CescaD96
I never studied that at all, but I reckon you need to start shortening your notes. When I do my history revision, I like to be at the point where I just have a list of dates/names/ acts passed, and use them as triggers for extra info. Does that make sense? Probably not. Sorry.

Erm I kinda get it. Is there anything online that can help?
Reply 5
Original post by Nae

All the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would I be marking the question my self?
Reply 6
Original post by Cherx
Erm I kinda get it. Is there anything online that can help?

Doesn't BBC have a section in their education site all broken down into A Levels, GCSEs, Scottish Qualifications etc that might have medicine through the life and times of Germany notes? It depends.
Or you could google it and see if other schools have done this particular module and put their notes up online, especially if it's a popular module.
Reply 7
Original post by CescaD96
Doesn't BBC have a section in their education site all broken down into A Levels, GCSEs, Scottish Qualifications etc that might have medicine through the life and times of Germany notes? It depends.
Or you could google it and see if other schools have done this particular module and put their notes up online, especially if it's a popular module.

That's a good idea thanks :yy:
Essay writing is the best revision you can do. Write several essays with different types of questions, always linking back to the question. If you do so you will be alright. Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by Cherx
Would I be marking the question my self?

Not necessarily, if you have a teacher who's willing to look it over, give it to them. If not check it over yourself, see if there's any detail you could add. Post it on this thread, or on tsr in general, maybe someone who does the same topic as you will come across it. :smile:
Sue to your topics mentioned and your use of secondary in title I am guessing you are doing GCSE (I did medicine through time and american west for GCSE) the links in here to essays (A2) are not relevant I'd this is the case. The way GCSE works is with several different type of questions practice as many of the different types and learn the rules of what you need to do. Example briefly describe ... Means you need to make five points or explain two. Our teacher gave us a booklet with every exam question so far perhaps ask your teacher for some questions they often have access to this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Nae
Not necessarily, if you have a teacher who's willing to look it over, give it to them. If not check it over yourself, see if there's any detail you could add. Post it on this thread, or on tsr in general, maybe someone who does the same topic as you will come across it. :smile:

Wouldn't my teacher find that quite annoying :erm:

I guess I could use TSR as well as a way of marking it.
Reply 12
Original post by mathscot
Sue to your topics mentioned and your use of secondary in title I am guessing you are doing GCSE (I did medicine through time and american west for GCSE) the links in here to essays (A2) are not relevant I'd this is the case. The way GCSE works is with several different type of questions practice as many of the different types and learn the rules of what you need to do. Example briefly describe ... Means you need to make five points or explain two. Our teacher gave us a booklet with every exam question so far perhaps ask your teacher for some questions they often have access to this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm I'll quite easily be able to find questions online :smile:

So it's just basically knowing the structure on how to answer the questions.
Reply 13
Original post by Cherx

I did both of those topics at GCSE and got full marks in the final exam. I revised by summarising all my notes into key, easy to remember points and regularly going over these (rereading and rewriting etc). Practice questions and a knowledge of how to answer the questions is really beneficial too. Good luck with your mocks! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Cherx
Wouldn't my teacher find that quite annoying :erm:

I guess I could use TSR as well as a way of marking it.

I suppose, depends on your teachers though. I think mine would be quite excited that I was doing extra work...
Maybe if you give it to them every couple of weeks rather than a whole load all at once or maybe vice versa. Also, make sure that you are acting on feedback, so they don't feel like you're not taking on board what they say. They might begin to feel that its worthwhile, even if at first its irritating, when they see your essay technique improving.
Reply 15
Original post by katie780
I did both of those topics at GCSE and got full marks in the final exam. I revised by summarising all my notes into key, easy to remember points and regularly going over these (rereading and rewriting etc). Practice questions and a knowledge of how to answer the questions is really beneficial too. Good luck with your mocks! :smile:

Ahh yes I should probably start by making notes.. I've never actually made notes before for any subject :colondollar:
Thanks hopefully it goes well..
Reply 16
Original post by Nae
I suppose, depends on your teachers though. I think mine would be quite excited that I was doing extra work...
Maybe if you give it to them every couple of weeks rather than a whole load all at once or maybe vice versa. Also, make sure that you are acting on feedback, so they don't feel like you're not taking on board what they say. They might begin to feel that its worthwhile, even if at first its irritating, when they see your essay technique improving.

I don't know.. my teachers quite lazy. I'm not too sure how she would feel about me giving her extra marking.
Reply 17
Original post by Cherx
I don't know.. my teachers quite lazy. I'm not too sure how she would feel about me giving her extra marking.

Fair enough. You might want to try and get her to do some of the marking though, as after all she's the expert. Do you have a parents evening anytime soon? when you could get your parents to hint that you're doing extra work that needs marking?
Otherwise, tsr may be your best bet.
Reply 18
Original post by Nae
Fair enough. You might want to try and get her to do some of the marking though, as after all she's the expert. Do you have a parents evening anytime soon? when you could get your parents to hint that you're doing extra work that needs marking?
Otherwise, tsr may be your best bet.

I'm not too sure when my parents evening is. But yea I'll probably have to rely on TSR then :redface:
The thing that helps me the most in revising for history is just re-reading my notes. Although, bullet point lists and mind maps also helps me tremendously during my revision for American Race 1930s-2000, although the latter is too exhausting to do.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending