The Student Room Group

Making stupid mistakes in exams? Please tell me I'm not alone

And asking yourself how did I do that?
All the time! Or reading the question wrong multiple times. Or assuming an answer is wrong, and crossing it out, only to find out it's right when it's too late.. Really annoying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by victoria98
All the time! Or reading the question wrong multiple times. Or assuming an answer is wrong, and crossing it out, only to find out it's right when it's too late.. Really annoying

Posted from TSR Mobile

or when you've written a six page essay and then realise that you completely missed part of the question!
Original post by Summertime112

Nope you're certainly not alone :wink:
I can still pinpoint 3 or 4 awfully silly mistakes I made in AS Chemistry that cost me an A, in part at least.
Just today in Biology, I completely missed the part that said to answer in continuous prose and went on to bullet point my answers to two questions.
And missing the part where it says round to a certain number of significant figures
Yep the list goes on!
Original post by plasmaman
Nope you're certainly not alone :wink:
I can still pinpoint 3 or 4 awfully silly mistakes I made in AS Chemistry that cost me an A, in part at least.
Just today in Biology, I completely missed the part that said to answer in continuous prose and went on to bullet point my answers to two questions.
And missing the part where it says round to a certain number of significant figures
Yep the list goes on!

I had a biology exam today, and had to draw a motor neuron and draw an arrow of thedirection of the impulse.. Did a perfect diagram but completely forgot the arrow under pressure! I can complete
y relate to the rounding.. Happens to me all the time
I had a biology exam today, and had to draw a motor neuron and draw an arrow of thedirection of the impulse.. Did a perfect diagram but completely forgot the arrow under pressure! I can complete
y relate to the rounding.. Happens to me all the time

Yep I'd be at Cambridge right now if it weren't for the bloody rounding... well, maybe not but you get what I mean.
Are you doing AQA Unit 5 (BIOL5), by any chance?
Yep I'd be at Cambridge right now if it weren't for the bloody rounding... well, maybe not but you get what I mean.
Are you doing AQA Unit 5 (BIOL5), by any chance?

I am! I'm guessing you've done it:smile:
I am! I'm guessing you've done it:smile:

Nah, I'm just an all round super duper student and read ahead a little! Looks like quite an interesting unit though, that is compared to the nightmare that is Unit 4 :smile:
Nah, I'm just an all round super duper student and read ahead a little! Looks like quite an interesting unit though, that is compared to the nightmare that is Unit 4 :smile:

Dedication Right there:smile: don't even get me started..
Yeah OP..
But I have managed to reduce this by doing large amounts of past papers vigorously and continuously.
Original post by inachigeek21
Yeah OP..
But I have managed to reduce this by doing large amounts of past papers vigorously and continuously.

I get you, repetition is key:smile:
Dedication Right there:smile: don't even get me started..

I know I'm just brilliant.....maybe not haha. Yeah BIOL4 isn't worth thinking about at 25 past midnight!
Best of luck with your A-levels :smile:
I know I'm just brilliant.....maybe not haha. Yeah BIOL4 isn't worth thinking about at 25 past midnight!
Best of luck with your A-levels :smile:

truth, thanks :smile:
This was the story of my life when it came to exams, especially with chemistry at college. I used to get so angry at myself when I saw the stupid mistake I made when I got my result back or even worse, when I clicked what the correct answer was as soon as I left the exam room!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My life right there. I always make the same mistakes in mocks and it is soooo frustrating!!! :mad:I've done 3 exam papers and made the same mistakes in all of them.... I think more revision is in order....:smile:
The only remedy to stupid mistakes is practising it over and over again.

That's literally the only solution. You know the content, you just need to get comfortable putting it to paper accurately. Difference between an A and A* student is often stupid mistakes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending