The Student Room Group

Flatmates acting like my parents

I know it comes from a place of kindness / concern but I'm getting sick of my flatmates treating me like I am immature. they constantly will comment on things I am doing wrong when cooking and other things. I wouldn't mind if this was a kind correction but it's scolding and they often all join in and tell me off, making me feel stupid and immature. I am a disorganised person but I don't leave dirty dishes, I clean communal spaces and my room etc and have even made food fo my flatmates to be friendly . I am trying to be kind and understanding but everything I do is somehow flawed and I feel like im being judged 24/7 I feel like soon I'm going to burst and scream at them.
Reply 1
Original post by Chippypompom
I know it comes from a place of kindness / concern but I'm getting sick of my flatmates treating me like I am immature. they constantly will comment on things I am doing wrong when cooking and other things. I wouldn't mind if this was a kind correction but it's scolding and they often all join in and tell me off, making me feel stupid and immature. I am a disorganised person but I don't leave dirty dishes, I clean communal spaces and my room etc and have even made food fo my flatmates to be friendly . I am trying to be kind and understanding but everything I do is somehow flawed and I feel like im being judged 24/7 I feel like soon I'm going to burst and scream at them.

I was the same in my first year of uni. I tried to please everyone and help them whenever they needee but what I got in return was just judgement or dismissal of my emotions, when I talk to them. I tried to put everyone else ahead of myself but now I understood that I come first and I have to worry about myself. Try talking to them and explain where u are coming from, if that doesn't work then just pay no attention to them or when you cook, wear earphones. That's what I do right now. They have left me alone and we occasionally have a chat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending