The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 1
I did a week-long residential course at UMIST in Manchester as part of A103. I was nervous going on my own, but went because I had to, and when I completed the week, I was so glad I had gone.

Basically, I had a room (single) in the Halls, which was nice, and food was included - we'd get vouchers up to a certain value. You get there and register, and are given a time table and venues, so you know where to go, which puts you at ease. The group I was in was probably no more than 20 people, with whom I was with all week. We had seminar style lessons, and even watched a movie in the lecture theatre! Being in a small group, we made friends pretty quickly, and had to do some group work to do a presentation at the end of the week, which was fine, as you really will have broken the ice by then!

I would say go. It's a really good experience, and presentations are over and done with in no time. If it is a group one, you won't be speaking all of the time, and can perhaps negotiate with the others, so you speak less. Anyhow, a presentation is good experience, as some job interviews expect this now.

Hope you get on well with your course. Good luck!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Latest