The Student Room Group

'Spies' By Michael Frayn

Hey =] I'm doing A level english lit, & we're reading 'Spies' by Michael Frayn. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about the presentation of Stephen in the first 2 chapters? I know what I'm writing, but I'm bad at getting the ideas I have onto paper, and I was wondering if anyone had any new ones?

And if possible, any ideas about his friendship with Keith & the symbolism in the privet at the beginning?

&& Anyone else who is studying it, what do you think?
It's okay...kinda boring.
But then I'm also finding myself wanting to find out what happens, but not being bothered to read on lol.
There's too much description rather than action I think.

How about everyone else?
=]
Cheers.
Nay x
Death on this book!!!!

Check out the english academic help section on this site, theres loads on Spies.
Reply 2
I'm reading this book for English Literature AS level and I feel exactly the same way about the book! I've finished it and then our teacher explained the whole plot - but I didn't get at all anything that she explained to us!
I'm getting rather stuck on the essays too; I put the effort in and analyse in depth, but obviously not enough by the looks of my grades! Owell I can only get better I guess :]
I got that essay "presentation of Stephen in first two chapters" and most of the class got D+/C - baring in mind we all got A*'s/A's in GCSE!

melissa x x
I am now studying English at Uni, but I've read the book, twice. I really like it. The beginning is a bit slow but it is really good when you get into it, the description also leads to great suspense, so I won't spoil the ending. However, I haven't read it in a while so I can't give any tips; you'd probably have more luck posting in the courses help section. :redface:
Reply 4
I love this book! :biggrin:
Studied it for AS last year.

As for your question...If I can remember the first 2 chapters have alot of focus on the older steven. Showing him as a unreliable narrator, going through his stream of consciousness to decipher the mordrid memories. When he sees his doppelganger in chapter 2, he is presented by Frayn as insecure (even as a old man), thinking he is "unsatisfactory" and being embarrased by his younger self's demeanor. The younger steven is presented as a child who is aware of his social status and shares his arcadia with his best friend Keith whom he is envious of as his family not only has wealth but has "role models", eg: Uncle Peter for patriotism and masculinity, Mrs Hayward for obedient, elegant housewife.

Latest

Trending

Trending