The Student Room Group

Revision notes - Write or type?

Do you prefer do hand write or type out your revision notes? Why that method?

I prefer to initially type them out and then nearer to the exam time repeatedly write them out :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Personally I like to write them out but that's just me I guess as lots of people I know like typing them out.
Type.

Much faster.

I retain information aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I typed my AS notes but have recently decided to write out my A2 notes, then scan them into my computer and throw them away to save physical space.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to write them out but now I tend to type them. It's much faster and I'm able to edit things and add stuff in later if needs be.

Closer to exams I'll start condensing the typed notes by hand though.
Write, find I take it in better
Write... I put them all on coloured revision cards so typing wouldn't look as good and as I have ocd tendencies if one doesn't look good I have to redo it!!

In addition you can condense more rather than being tempted to copy and paste and theres something about remembering how my notes looked when I'm in the exam that helps.. would never be able to remember what was on the computer screen!! Also having them handwritten means I can use them anywhere
I type really quick (100 wpm) but I always write my notes because I feel like I'm not actually LEARNING when typing. When writing I can make mind-maps and draw diagrams etc. while keeping it in one full notebook which really tends to help.
Writing is quicker for me. Tying is too tedious and a mistake typing messes with my learning.
Reply 9
Typing. I can type faster than I write; I can easily edit the notes on a computer, plus I can use them on my laptop without having to carry a suitcase full of sheets of paper.
Anyone using OneNote?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Writing. The process helps me to remember. And my notes are colour coded my chapter and each unit has s different colour folder. In the exam I can picture myself opening the coloured folder that corresponds to that unit and then moving to the coloured divider n then I can see the diagrams. It really helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Writing. I can touch type so I type without thinking so nothing goes in.
Original post by Blyts-_
Do you prefer do hand write or type out your revision notes? Why that method?

I prefer to initially type them out and then nearer to the exam time repeatedly write them out :smile:

I write them out by hand at first, then finalise them by typing them up. Best of both worlds.
I always wrote mine; I found it helped me remember things better since I had to take the time to note them down. Closer to the time I would consolidate them into single-sheet bulletpoints, which as I was doing essay-based exams was helpful as often they ended up being the outline of a potential essay question! Since I had to hand write all my exams, doing the notes by hand was good training as well.
I write mine and just coloured pens and highlighters, sometimes write key things on coloured paper to stick up on my walls. Typing notes never seems to make me remember what I'm writing
I prefer to write, because what I write down, I will be able to remember. In addition, writing in blue ink is scientifically known to help the individual remember vividly what they write. I sometimes do.

Other will prefer typing. I go to a university where many people bring their laptops to type up notes.

It depends on the person, really. As some may be able to take more information in typing than writing down. I admit writing is slower.
Write because it would take absolutely ages to write up all of the equations in my notes!
I've tried typing before and using online resources but it doesn't stick in my head like writing it does. I also write with colourful fineliners as well which helps so much.
Write. I still haven't had enough practice with Latex yet to make typing up my notes even feasible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending