The Student Room Group

What A-levels for Economics at Uni.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joddcfc
Thanks! Which three do you do?

Economics, English Literature and History!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Economics is fundamentally a study of society so getting history or geography in there would be good.
Original post by 9815
Can i do economics with these alevels
Business
Economics
Gov and pol
Greek
Biology

Posted from TSR Mobile

Swap Business for Maths and you're good to go. Many unis don't like to see Business and Economics taken together as it overlaps quite a bit.

Original post by joddcfc
I'm almost certainly doing Maths, Economics, History and English Lit. Do they sound good for an Economics degree?

Great combo. Should be fine for anywhere, although if you're considering Camb/LSE they state FM being advantageous if not then those subjects won't cause you any problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
What else could i do with my subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Great combo. Should be fine for anywhere, although if you're considering Camb/LSE they state FM being advantageous if not then those subjects won't cause you any problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: I was considering taking Further Maths as my fourth subject (once I'd already picked Maths, Economics and History), but the way in which the school option blocks are sorted doesn't allow me to take FM and Economics, which is ridiculous considering those two are seen as a good combination for some Economics degrees. That said, FM wasn't definitely going to be my fourth choice, so the scenario merely ruled it out and made me choose English Lit.

Besides, my personal aim is to go to a Russell Group uni, and I reckon Oxbridge and LSE are a little out of my reach to be honest.
Original post by joddcfc
Thank you :smile: I was considering taking Further Maths as my fourth subject (once I'd already picked Maths, Economics and History), but the way in which the school option blocks are sorted doesn't allow me to take FM and Economics, which is ridiculous considering those two are seen as a good combination for some Economics degrees. That said, FM wasn't definitely going to be my fourth choice, so the scenario merely ruled it out and made me choose English Lit.

Besides, my personal aim is to go to a Russell Group uni, and I reckon Oxbridge and LSE are a little out of my reach to be honest.

Had the exact same problem when I was choosing A levels :biggrin: I couldn't choose FM cause economics was in the same option block, I ended up choosing Maths, Economics, Physics & Chemistry. Although I've dropped chem now.

Btw don't be swayed into thinking after Oxbridge and LSE the next best are unis in the 'russel group'. The russel group is just a group of unis which recieves the most research grants. However is is partially true as most of the top unis behind LSE and Oxbridge are in the group. Warwick, UCL, Nottingham, Durham, Bristol etc. There are exceptions though, Bath and St Andrews aren't in the Russel Group and they are certainly up there after the top 5.
Original post by abccba120
Had the exact same problem when I was choosing A levels :biggrin: I couldn't choose FM cause economics was in the same option block, I ended up choosing Maths, Economics, Physics & Chemistry. Although I've dropped chem now.

Btw don't be swayed into thinking after Oxbridge and LSE the next best are unis in the 'russel group'. The russel group is just a group of unis which recieves the most research grants. However is is partially true as most of the top unis behind LSE and Oxbridge are in the group. Warwick, UCL, Nottingham, Durham, Bristol etc. There are exceptions though, Bath and St Andrews aren't in the Russel Group and they are certainly up there after the top 5.

I've looked into Nottingham and Warwick universities briefly, and both seem to be very strong at Economics. I'm sure nearer the time, I'll have a better look at them :smile:
Original post by joddcfc
I've looked into Nottingham and Warwick universities briefly, and both seem to be very strong at Economics. I'm sure nearer the time, I'll have a better look at them :smile:

Yes they indeed are, Warwick is definitely in the top 5 for economics.
Would Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Computer Science be good A levels for an Economics degree at a LSE, Oxbridge, UCL and Warwick.

I do know that comp science is unusual but I want to keep a comp science degree open.

advise would be really helpful, Thanks!
Original post by SSpringer20
Would Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Computer Science be good A levels for an Economics degree at a LSE, Oxbridge, UCL and Warwick.

I do know that comp science is unusual but I want to keep a comp science degree open.

advise would be really helpful, Thanks!

Short answer: yes.

Something like history might be slightly more advantageous, but as you may fancy computer science then you might as well keep comp sci as you won't be greatly hindered at all.
I do not want to be hindered at all, I want to go into investment banking but maybe a computer science degree will suffice as it is more mathematical than economics but economics is my first choice.
Bump.
I do not want to be hindered at all, I want to go into investment banking but maybe a computer science degree will suffice as it is more mathematical than economics but economics is my first choice.

If your sole career aim is IB and you're tailoring A Level choices to that, I'd consider something like History since it shows analytical skills rather than simply more maths which you already have enough of. An economics idea is more preferred for IB too, I believe.
True, but I really want to do comp science. I forgot to mention that I am also doing a special a level in leadership so I think I'll stand out.
True, but I really want to do comp science. I forgot to mention that I am also doing a special a level in leadership so I think I'll stand out.

Get work experience, internships etc to really stand out - you want to have lots of extra-curricular stuff rather than pure academic things.
Yeah, I have a 4 week internship lined up at goldmansach and I will be setting up a business. Will these be good?
Bump
Yeah, I have a 4 week internship lined up at goldmansach and I will be setting up a business. Will these be good?

Well they're not exactly going to be bad are they?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmmm, I just want to do well so badly.
You don't need to study Economics at university to become an Investment Banker!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending