The Student Room Group

'It's not my fault for passing out, it's his fault for raping me'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30401469

Of course rape is a horrible event and no one - no woman or man - should suffer from it, but, in "Maria's" occasion, couldn't it have been avoid by alcohol moderation?

My opinion might cause some to think I'm misogynistic ... but it just seems to me more could have been done to avoid it.

She talks about how she's allowed to drink as much as she wants ... but putting yourself into a state where you pass out is bad - very bad.

She's obviously right about 'it's his fault for raping me' ... don't get me wrong, he should suffer for it ... but saying it's not 'my fault for passing out' ... is stupid because it was. She had the choice to drink "as much as she wanted", she knew how dangerous alcohol can be, and is.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Everyone should be able to get wasted and pass out wherever they damn well feel like it without having to fear being raped.

/thread
Reply 2
Original post by Drunk Punx
Everyone should be able to get wasted and pass out wherever they damn well feel like it without having to fear being raped.

/thread

Everyone should be allowed to do a lot of things that are ****ing stupid in the flawed society we live in.
Reply 3
Well what do you mean 'fault'?

Sure it was a key factor for the rape to occur, but so was her decision to host a poker night, and also for allowing her friend to bring his friends (including the rapist) inside.
That doesn't mean this should add to her share in the 'fault' if the incident.

The point is she should be allowed to drink however much she wants and still be exempt of any 'fault.' This is because it suggests she is in someway to blame, but really just because the alcohol was a necessary condition does not condemn her or alleviate blame on her assailant.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

Whatever, you misogynist!

I bet you think I'm to blame for letting my house get burgled?
I didn't bother closing and locking the door but that doesn't matter!
Reply 5
OP, I agree

But if I was to ever agree with you publicly I suddenly become sexist, misogynistic and probably somehow pro-rape, have no empathy for the victims or whatever else people would like to throw at me lol
Original post by MJ1012
Everyone should be allowed to do a lot of things that are ****ing stupid in the flawed society we live in.

Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not, but I'll take it as such.
Reply 7
Original post by Drunk Punx
Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not, but I'll take it as such.

I'm not.
Original post by MJ1012
I'm not.

So you think that if someone gets so drunk that they pass out, they're basically hanging a sign on their vagina that says "rape here!"?

You sicken me.
Reply 9
It IS her fault for passing out

It's not her fault for being raped
The propositions that A: "rape is wrong and the rapist morally to blame" and B: "It is stupid and unwise to pass out, especially strangers" are both true.

/thread.
Reply 11
The thing about rape is that, no matter what state the victim is in, it is still rape. By saying that the girl could've prevented what happened by not getting drunk and passing out, you're blaming the victim. An unconscious girl is not an invitation for sex, and people need to understand that.
Original post by Anonymous

Of course rape is a horrible event and no one - no woman or man - should suffer from it, but, in "Maria's" occasion, couldn't it have been avoid by alcohol moderation?

My opinion might cause some to think I'm misogynistic ... but it just seems to me more could have been done to avoid it.

She talks about how she's allowed to drink as much as she wants ... but putting yourself into a state where you pass out is bad - very bad.

She's obviously right about 'it's his fault for raping me' ... don't get me wrong, he should suffer for it ... but saying it's not 'my fault for passing out' ... is stupid because it was. She had the choice to drink "as much as she wanted", she knew how dangerous alcohol can be, and is.

What exactly are you trying to say? Why are you moaning about the fact that she said 'it's not my fault for passing out'?

I really don't see the problem here because evidently it's the rape that is the most important issue here.

What you're saying is irrelevant.
Original post by Reue
It IS her fault for passing out

It's not her fault for being raped

Exactly what I said. Why is everyone getting so jumped up about it?
Original post by abfairch
The thing about rape is that, no matter what state the victim is in, it is still rape. By saying that the girl could've prevented what happened by not getting drunk and passing out, you're blaming the victim. An unconscious girl is not an invitation for sex, and people need to understand that.

I don't think the OP is blaming the victim though ... I think he's just questioning the 'It's not my fault I passed out' thing the woman said.

An unconscious girl isn't an invitation, but being unconscious due to the excessive intact of alcohol is. A lot of men strive on picking very vulnerable women to rape ... she was one of them.

I'm not condoning the rape.
Original post by zimbo97
Well what do you mean 'fault'?

Sure it was a key factor for the rape to occur, but so was her decision to host a poker night, and also for allowing her friend to bring his friends (including the rapist) inside.
That doesn't mean this should add to her share in the 'fault' if the incident.

The point is she should be allowed to drink however much she wants and still be exempt of any 'fault.' This is because it suggests she is in someway to blame, but really just because the alcohol was a necessary condition does not condemn her or alleviate blame on her assailant.

An intelligent and considered post.
Original post by RemiMarcelle
What exactly are you trying to say? Why are you moaning about the fact that she said 'it's not my fault for passing out'?

I really don't see the problem here because evidently it's the rape that is the most important issue here.

What you're saying is irrelevant.

From what I can see OP isn't condoning rape .. he even said it's a horrible event or whatever.

I think he's leaning more to how she's excusing herself for being so drunk that she passed out.

If I took so much drugs I passed out/blacked out and ended up getting mugged ... is it my fault or the muggers? Or is the blame shared?
Original post by Le Franglais
I don't think the OP is blaming the victim though ... I think he's just questioning the 'It's not my fault I passed out' thing the woman said.

An unconscious girl isn't an invitation, but being unconscious due to the excessive intact of alcohol is. A lot of men strive on picking very vulnerable women to rape ... she was one of them.

Being unconscious due to excessive alcohol intake is an invitation?

An invitation to be raped?
Original post by Falcatas
Whatever, you misogynist!

I bet you think I'm to blame for letting my house get burgled?
I didn't bother closing and locking the door but that doesn't matter!

Why the accusing? OP is just saying, in your scenario, that locking your doors would certainly have prevented it ... not that the burglary wasn't wrong!

Lol
Reply 19
Original post by Le Franglais

Just before anything else, it's not an invitation- it's an easy victim.

And I understand what you're saying, but we can't condone this no matter what her physical or mental state was. We need to continue teaching both men and women that rape is not acceptable in any circumstance.

I feel like you understand where I'm coming from?

Latest

Trending

Trending