The Student Room Group

What is better: Arranged or a love marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
mate love lasts shorter:smile::smile:
And if your lucky it may last a life time!!!!!!!!!!!
I've seen love marriages which have gone well and love marriages which have gone wrong, I have seen arranged marriages which have gone well and arranged marriages which have gone wrong, neither system is inherently perfect.

Ultimately, I think it depends on the couple and I think it is wrong to think that the two options are polar opposites....

e.g. my boyfriend and I are white British, in love, and met at a dance, rather than through our parents, so if we get married, then it will be a love marriage, but we really value the opinion of our parents and our parents all think that we're a great match: my boyfriend's parents have told him to marry me as soon as I graduate from university and, although my parents think that it would be best for us to live together for a while first, just to make sure, they approve as well.

So I think a mix of the two systems where there is no pressure from parents to marry against one's inclination, but where families are involved and provide support is probably the best way to go :smile:
Original post by K1NG93
It doesn't really matter to me tbh. I've no shortage of girls as I'm good looking obviously as I'm a Pakistani and not an Indian. I get asked out everyday at uni by some girl. Too bad I've to say no as I'm not ready yet. But when the time comes for marriage, I'll know which one is the best for me although I must say that there is nothing wrong with either way of marriage.

Jog on mate.:lolwut:

Not trying to offend anyone's race.
But we all know Pakistani men Have never been blessed with good looks.:no:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sheikh.google
Jog on mate.:lolwut:

Not trying to offend anyone's race.
But we all know Pakistani men Have never been blessed with good looks.:no:

Yeah right. Tell that to all the girls who think I'm good looking.
None really.
Original post by K1NG93
Yeah right. Tell that to all the girls who think I'm good looking.

:rofl:

Furthermore Why are you gassing yourself on an internet forum?

You're not fooling anyone.:naughty:

You're not fooling anyone.:naughty:

That's your job mate not mine
Original post by K1NG93
That's your job mate not mine

I never said I was.:lolwut:

And we all know you for your notoriety for advocating the death penalty for apostacy:wink2:
Love obviously..... Are you crazy???? Arranged???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treeroy
lol why is this a question? anyone who thinks arranged marriage is good is suffering from stockholm syndrome

You do know the difference between an arranged marriage and love marriage, right?
Original post by UCAS problems :(
Love can come after an arranged marriage because allah puts love and mercy between you and your spouse :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:laugh:Do you seriously believe this?
:laugh:Do you seriously believe this?

Someone mentions Allah and the Islam bashing begins.
Not the right thread.
:biggrin:
Original post by rosebud114
Love marriage! I'm indian and I have never liked the concept of arrange marriages... I think if I left it up to my parents...yes he may tick all the boxes but I'm not exactly trying to buy a blender,I'm trying to find husband. Plus I also think it's important to broaden my search different races,nationalities etc. if I left it up to my parents I know their search wouldn't be as exciting! Plus I think it is important to love someone before you decide to spend the rest of your lives together...so yeah love all the way!!

I 100% agree with this, if I left it to my parents I know for sure all the guys they'll pick would be bengali, from a specific village and everything. :rolleyes:
Original post by NaTaLiiA513
Someone mentions Allah and the Islam bashing begins.
Not the right thread.
:biggrin:

:lolwut:

No I'm not.
don't jump to irrational conclusions.:hand:

I was just asking Quantum if he was serious or not?

Because he normally makes quotes on Islam
then he jumps back to being an Apostate.
(edited 9 years ago)
:lolwut:

No I'm not.
don't jump to irrational conclusion.:hand:

I was just asking Quantum if he was serious or not?

Because he normally makes quotes on Islam
then he jumps back to being an Apostate.

Ah, I see. I usually see you and a few significant others on the religious forums. I was assuming that a bashing marathon was about to begin, this is not the case.
Original post by NaTaLiiA513
You do know the difference between an arranged marriage and love marriage, right?

Yes, which is why I said what I did. If someone genuinely believes an arranged marriage is better (or even equal to) a real marriage, then they have psychological issues.
Arranged marriage definitely.

I except my wife to be like me (virgin,non smoker/ non drinker /clean past).
Original post by tammie123
I 100% agree with this, if I left it to my parents I know for sure all the guys they'll pick would be bengali, from a specific village and everything. :rolleyes:

This is something which I've noticed as well. When people get arranged by their parents, their parents will nearly always pick someone of the same ethnicity(even sometimes same village).
Even in my family all those that got arranged married Indians and those that didn't married non-Indians.

I do know of one person that kind of got arranged(not by parents though) and married someone from a different country.
(edited 9 years ago)
Both are ****, in different ways.

Long term, arranged marriages probably make more sense. Short term, love marriages are obviously more exciting.

In conclusion though: marriage sucks
Love marriages tend to end badly,
For example in Game of Thrones Robb stark marriage...he should of married the Walder's daughter and then he could of defeated the Lannisters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending