The Student Room Group

Personal statement crisis help!

So basically I submitted my ucas application to my college and they have refused to send it. I am applying for paramedic science and the lady that deals with the personal statements says I should have at least 1-2 years worth of care experience which I haven't got I work full time in a bar and do the access course part time I'm not due to start any voluntary work until feb and that's when I start training with community first respond team. I've asked if I can do it earlier but they can't. Ucas deadline is 15th of jan . College have told me to get work experience over Xmas but I won't get my crb in time so i can't. I have no idea what to do. I have got an interview from my application to Wolverhampton for January and college have told me to decline and not attend as they say I will be refused anyway can anyone help me here?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hazelann2011
So basically I submitted my ucas application to my college and they have refused to send it. I am applying for paramedic science and the lady that deals with the personal statements says I should have at least 1-2 years worth of care experience which I haven't got I work full time in a bar and do the access course part time I'm not due to start any voluntary work until feb and that's when I start training with community first respond team. I've asked if I can do it earlier but they can't. Ucas deadline is 15th of jan . College have told me to get work experience over Xmas but I won't get my crb in time so i can't. I have no idea what to do. I have got an interview from my application to Wolverhampton for January and college have told me to decline and not attend as they say I will be refused anyway can anyone help me here?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any work experience in that area so far? You don't need 1-2 years of work experience, that's silly, but some work experience is absolutely required. For instance, from UoCoventry's website: "Caring experience essential. This can be paid or voluntary experience that relates to caring for individuals".

And how have you got an interview if you've not sent your UCAS application yet?
Original post by Chlorophile
Do you have any work experience in that area so far? You don't need 1-2 years of work experience, that's silly, but some work experience is absolutely required. For instance, from UoCoventry's website: "Caring experience essential. This can be paid or voluntary experience that relates to caring for individuals".

And how have you got an interview if you've not sent your UCAS application yet?

Hi Wolverhampton application is online as its a new course so I got to send that seperate to my ucas! I don't have any experience really other than I do care for my nanna who needs help with bathing/meds/cleaning and house work so I tend to her a lot in my spare time and take her shopping and stuff but I got told I couldn't use that. And I also got told not to use my parents (both paramedics) in my ucas application. I'm also a single mum to two kids so I don't know if I could use that ether I'm just at a loss on what to do! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Wolverhampton application is online as its a new course so I got to send that seperate to my ucas! I don't have any experience really other than I do care for my nanna who needs help with bathing/meds/cleaning and house work so I tend to her a lot in my spare time and take her shopping and stuff but I got told I couldn't use that. And I also got told not to use my parents (both paramedics) in my ucas application. I'm also a single mum to two kids so I don't know if I could use that ether I'm just at a loss on what to do! X
Posted from TSR Mobile

What did the Wolverhampton application involve? Do they know you have no work experience?

Honestly, without work experience, I wouldn't rate your chances. Having said that, I don't think your college is being fair at all. Your chance of getting in is small but it isn't non-existent and it doesn't harm them in any way to send your application off. Is there nobody else inside your college higher up that you can ask?
I've tried talking to my personal tutor and she has sided with the ucas lady over the experience issue they have just told me to try and get some experience over Xmas but obviously I've got no chance of getting experience by then. The only other option is to defer a year after my course and apply for 2016 uni but my access course might not be considered relevant then so that is a risk too. Wolverhampton just wanted to know any work I've done (which is bar work ) my personal statement (as it is now) and predicted grades which I completed. I just feel a bit let down by my college and at a loss on what to do :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about showing them links like this: http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/allied-health-professions/careers-in-the-allied-health-professions/paramedic/entry-and-training/ and the websites for the courses that you are applying for?
I've tried that thanks It doesn't state anywhere that it is necessary to have relevant work experience. I'm a team leader at my work so I thought that would have been relevant as to be a paramedic you need leadership skills. I am just at a loss in what to do now. I suppose I could just submit my ucas without going through college but would that affect my chances? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've tried that thanks It doesn't state anywhere that it is necessary to have relevant work experience. I'm a team leader at my work so I thought that would have been relevant as to be a paramedic you need leadership skills. I am just at a loss in what to do now. I suppose I could just submit my ucas without going through college but would that affect my chances? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need a referee of some description so it would depend on whether you could get someone to do that for you. You'd be better off asking in the Applications and UCAS forum, or maybe the Mature Students forum
Writing that you're planning on getting some experience on x month will help, but won't make the admissions tutors any more likely to accept you if you don't have anything at all.

If you're really stuck, write about caring for your nanna since you're not losing anything by doing that! It's better than nothing. My worry, and probably the worry of those reading your PS, is that without some care experience, how do you know you want to be a paramedic/do paramedic science for sure since caring is a big part of it? If you can find some things you've done in the past where you've worked with people in general, and been part of a team and leadership roles. put it.

But with the caring aspect of things, it is required. A deferred entry might be a better option if you have no other choice, which isn't all that bad if it means you can have the time later to get things in order and get some more experience :smile:
I already work full time in a team leader role which is what I used on my ps. I've rang around can't get nothing without a crb which I've got no chance of getting by next week so it looks like I've completely bummed it 😖

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can mention that you care for your grandma and two children because it is a relevant caring role. But you will need work experience so get something temporary in a care home or a hospice. Some do not require a crb like St Francis hospice they only want you to sign a sheet saying you have no unspent criminal convictions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending