The Student Room Group

Medicine 2015 Entry Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the A* guy
Congrats on the offers, they are both great med schools whichever one you firm.

When was your kings interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

7th January - Feels like I've been waiting forever! Thanks :smile:

Original post by Medboy100
choose Barts!!!!

Be curious to know what makes you say that, haha. At the moment I'm really leaning towards Barts, but I haven't even been to an open day for King's, so I feel like I should definitely give them a chance at their offer holder open day first!
Original post by EmilyKvothe
7th January - Feels like I've been waiting forever! Thanks :smile:

Be curious to know what makes you say that, haha. At the moment I'm really leaning towards Barts, but I haven't even been to an open day for King's, so I feel like I should definitely give them a chance at their offer holder open day first!

So you should, before choosing Barts :smile:
Original post by solarplexus
i know lol thanks, my edinburgh rejection made me doubt myself lol, don't know how i got barts though lol :smile:

yeah i know how it felt to be rejected its horrible, but the others must never give up if they really want it :smile:

Obviously fate intervened to make sure you went to the right place :smile:
Original post by EmilyKvothe

Biased but pick Kings! :tongue:
Hello everyone,

I've got an offer from SGUL and I'm waiting post interview for a reply from kings EMDP. I really want to firm a choice as soon as they reply. If I got an offer for kings EMDP I really don't know which I would choose.

In the possibility I get an offer, I have quite a few pros and cons for both. Something that sticks out is that I prefer the pre clinical years at SGUL given that they do a mixture of Pbl and lectures, and they do prosection, but kings mainly just do lectures and they focus on dissection with little prosection. However in terms of the clinical years kings has such world renowned hospitals where the placements would be amazing, but at SGUL apart from georges themselves their other hospitals are not that appealing.

Can anybody help me with this decision at all?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
A tad biased but everybody should take a year out and apply to imperial

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the A* guy
Hello everyone,

I've got an offer from SGUL and I'm waiting post interview for a reply from kings EMDP. I really want to firm a choice as soon as they reply. If I got an offer for kings EMDP I really don't know which I would choose.

In the possibility I get an offer, I have quite a few pros and cons for both. Something that sticks out is that I prefer the pre clinical years at SGUL given that they do a mixture of Pbl and lectures, and they do prosection, but kings mainly just do lectures and they focus on dissection with little prosection. However in terms of the clinical years kings has such world renowned hospitals where the placements would be amazing, but at SGUL apart from georges themselves their other hospitals are not that appealing.

Can anybody help me with this decision at all?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dinosaurus_Rex
A tad biased but everybody should take a year out and apply to imperial

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or get in the first time like moi :tongue:
Reply 188
Birmingham or UEA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hpcp
Birmingham or UEA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firm birm insure uea
norwich is dull af
Original post by hpcp
Birmingham or UEA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it were me (purely personal opinion) I would definitely go UEA.

Birmingham is a massive medical school which may suit some but I think I'd feel a bit lost there, UEA has the perfect number of students in each year to make it sociable and personal: you could reasonably expect to get to know the majority of your year. Norwich is a fantastic city: as the county capital it has some prestige to it so shops, restaurants and facilities are very good plus Norfolk (esp. the North Norfolk coast) is absolutely stunning.

I'm not sure whether Birmingham use traditional or mixed teaching methods? PBL makes a huge amount of sense - learning in a small group environment is a quick and sociable way to start getting to know and work with your peers. It encourages teamwork, leadership, and self-directed learning plus it gives them an opportunity to keep a paternalistic eye on you and make sure you're not getting left behind.

No brainer I reckon (but it's not me going, it's you so what do you think?)...:smile:
Original post by hpcp
Birmingham or UEA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

p.s. on the GMC exit poll UEA 5th years were the most confident in the country about how well prepared they felt for becoming an FY1, Birmingham medics ranked 23rd...:frown:
Original post by Dr Gin
p.s. on the GMC exit poll UEA 5th years were the most confident in the country about how well prepared they felt for becoming an FY1, Birmingham medics ranked 23rd...:frown:

Where can I find this exit poll?
Original post by Futuremedic2096
Or get in the first time like moi :tongue:

Imperial ain't that amazing *cough number 16 on league tables for medicine* . UCL is so much better and is the best medical school in London, statistics show !

And imperial has the highest suicide rates, just saying xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194
Original post by Dr Gin
If it were me (purely personal opinion) I would definitely go UEA.

Birmingham is a massive medical school which may suit some but I think I'd feel a bit lost there, UEA has the perfect number of students in each year to make it sociable and personal: you could reasonably expect to get to know the majority of your year. Norwich is a fantastic city: as the county capital it has some prestige to it so shops, restaurants and facilities are very good plus Norfolk (esp. the North Norfolk coast) is absolutely stunning.

I'm not sure whether Birmingham use traditional or mixed teaching methods? PBL makes a huge amount of sense - learning in a small group environment is a quick and sociable way to start getting to know and work with your peers. It encourages teamwork, leadership, and self-directed learning plus it gives them an opportunity to keep a paternalistic eye on you and make sure you're not getting left behind.

No brainer I reckon (but it's not me going, it's you so what do you think?)...:smile:

I love all of that about UEA. I think they are amazing at the clinical skills, and I'm sure they would help me become a good junior doctor.
Birmingham have some group work too. I'm just worried at UEA about the basic science teaching, as I've heard some people say that there isn't enough of this.
Also Birmingham seem to do better in the postgraduate exams, and I guess that might tie in with the science teaching
but UEA wins in terms of clinical skills and knowledge
Original post by hpcp
Birmingham or UEA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go to the applicant day on Saturday to get a feel of UEA this will make you more confident about your decision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by curtis110
Where can I find this exit poll?

http://www.gmc-uk.org/SoMEP_chapter_3.pdf_58053779.pdf
Original post by hpcp
I love all of that about UEA. I think they are amazing at the clinical skills, and I'm sure they would help me become a good junior doctor.
Birmingham have some group work too. I'm just worried at UEA about the basic science teaching, as I've heard some people say that there isn't enough of this.
Also Birmingham seem to do better in the postgraduate exams, and I guess that might tie in with the science teaching
but UEA wins in terms of clinical skills and knowledge

I suppose I'm looking at it from the other end of the scale. I went to Leicester to study medicine in 1986 and am still here(!) not uncommon for doctors as you often end up marrying/settling down soon after you graduate. If someone gave me the choice of making my life in the West Midlands vs. Norfolk I would make the decision in a split second. Actually career structure and the foundation program are so different nowadays that you may find that you are forced to move anyway. Still, 5 or 6 years is a long time...
Reply 198
Original post by Dr Gin
I suppose I'm looking at it from the other end of the scale. I went to Leicester to study medicine in 1986 and am still here(!) not uncommon for doctors as you often end up marrying/settling down soon after you graduate. If someone gave me the choice of making my life in the West Midlands vs. Norfolk I would make the decision in a split second. Actually career structure and the foundation program are so different nowadays that you may find that you are forced to move anyway. Still, 5 or 6 years is a long time...

Thank you for your help though :smile:
Just wondering with postgraduate exams how does that work? Do you do research yourself and are their courses to standardise the knowledge at that level?
Original post by hpcp
Thank you for your help though :smile:
Just wondering with postgraduate exams how does that work? Do you do research yourself and are their courses to standardise the knowledge at that level?

There are study courses you can pay for and go on during your study leave allowance but basically it's up to you to study for your postgrad exams. Back in my day you would usually be supported by more senior members of your specialty with tutorials etc. Remember that all this GMC data is very old; some of it is based on my cohort of students (and we're all middle aged now!) so there is a very good chance that your cohort will eventually yield different results when we see your survey in 10-20 years time..!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending