The Student Room Group

TSR Indian Society - MKVI

Scroll to see replies

I, for one, am quite happy about the new deals that have been made between India and the UK :biggrin:

However, I'm interested to know what you guys make of those anti-Modi protests?
Original post by Indeterminate
I, for one, am quite happy about the new deals that have been made between India and the UK :biggrin:

I'm all for the anti-Modi protests
:indiff:
Are you guys from India or born in the UK?
Original post by preetg97
I'm all for the anti-Modi protests
:indiff:

Yup, I mean people are right to protest considering all of these issues about intolerance that have arisen.

The big question is this: what happens now? :s-smilie:
Original post by dairychocolate
Are you guys from India or born in the UK?

I was born in the UK. My parents were from India and Singapore :smile:

Yup, I mean people are right to protest considering all of these issues about intolerance that have arisen.

The big question is this: what happens now? :s-smilie:

I have no idea :dontknow:

I have no idea :dontknow:

Neither do I :tongue:

The government needs to do more to unify Indian society, otherwise this whole issue could spiral out of control :frown:

They have a right to protest (this coming from someone who is fairly pro-Modi).

It's just that I don't see what the protests will achieve and nor do I see what Modi himself can personally do considering that law and order in India is a state subject (i.e.: under the control of the Punjab government or the Uttar Pradesh government) and not under the control of the central government or Modi.

The incidents in Punjab, for example, have to be dealt with by the Punjab government where Modi' party is a minor coalition partner (with 12 seats) and the major party is the Sikh-centric Shiromani Akali Dal which has 59 seats.

At best, Modi can only condemn the incidents which he has done, albeit very late.
He can get the stupid fringe elements to rein themselves in (which I admit he needs to do more of), but unless he encroaches on the jurisdiction of the state governments and high courts, he can't do much law and order wise to catch and punish the culprits.
Original post by nucdev

It's just that I don't see what the protests will achieve and nor do I see what Modi himself can personally do considering that law and order in India is a state subject (i.e.: under the control of the Punjab government or the Uttar Pradesh government) and not under the control of the central government or Modi.

The incidents in Punjab, for example, have to be dealt with by the Punjab government where Modi' party is a minor coalition partner (with 12 seats) and the major party is the Sikh-centric Shiromani Akali Dal which has 59 seats.

At best, Modi can only condemn the incidents which he has done, albeit very late.
He can get the stupid fringe elements to rein themselves in (which I admit he needs to do more of), but unless he encroaches on the jurisdiction of the state governments and high courts, he can't do much law and order wise to catch and punish the culprits.

True.

Tbh finding a solution to this issue would involve various powerful/influential people working together, along with Indian society, to uphold the values that a democratic society is based upon. There isn't any other way around it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nucdev

As someone who's lived in Punjab for most part of his life - agreed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nucdev

Exactly. people in the UK esp Sikhs have no clue how the politics of India works.

The Punjab issue was a terrible incident. BUT it is under the jurisdiction of the local Government (SAD a SIKH party) and the Punjab Police. I dont know how the BJP or the RSS got dragged into it or even Modi for that matter.

Whoever beat or fired on the protesters were from the Punjab Police which are predominantly Sikh. If the perpetrators of the Granth Sahib desecration havent been brought to justice, its the State government's inaction not someone sitting 500 Miles away.

India is NOT the UK. It does not have a centralised system for local issues.

So if you want to protest go ahead and do it. But please channel to the right people. I.E the SAD run by Badal or the Punjab Police
I was born in the UK. My parents were from India and Singapore :smile:

Ah good. I thought this thread might only/mainly be for people born in India.

Original post by sachinisgod
Exactly. people in the UK esp Sikhs have no clue how the politics of India works.

The Punjab issue was a terrible incident. BUT it is under the jurisdiction of the local Government

Most Sikhs I know are blaming Badal for this.
Ah good. I thought this thread might only/mainly be for people born in India.

Most Sikhs I know are blaming Badal for this.

Another UK born of Indian origin here.

The Sikhs blaming Badal are the ones who know India's political and quasi-federal structure and are pointing to the right people. Because it was a shameful incident and the right people should be held accountable for the failure to investigate and prosecute.

The ones blaming Modi (and there are quite a few) are either unaware of how India and its governance structure is (where law and order in the states of India do not come under the control of the Prime Minister), or perhaps some do know about it, but are jumping on the bandwagon to blame him.
Original post by nucdev
Another UK born of Indian origin here.

The Sikhs blaming Badal are the ones who know India's political and quasi-federal structure and are pointing to the right people. Because it was a shameful incident and the right people should be held accountable for the failure to investigate and prosecute.

The ones blaming Modi (and there are quite a few) are either unaware of how India and its governance structure is (where law and order in the states of India do not come under the control of the Prime Minister), or perhaps some do know about it, but are jumping on the bandwagon to blame him.

Oh yeah, for sure, but, from what I've seen, the majority of people in the UK who are concerned do know about government structure in India because they've actually lived there. My dad's generation, who have lived in India and know the system, seem far more concerned than mine, who haven't lived there and don't know much at all.

The other guy said that 'people in the UK esp Sikhs have no clue how the politics of India works' which, in my experience, is totally incorrect.
Oh yeah, for sure, but, from what I've seen, the majority of people in the UK who are concerned do know about government structure in India because they've actually lived there. My dad's generation, who have lived in India and know the system, seem far more concerned than mine, who haven't lived there and don't know much at all.

The other guy said that 'people in the UK esp Sikhs have no clue how the politics of India works' which, in my experience, is totally incorrect.

Fair enough, it was perhaps an over-generalization.

Your opinion on Modi?
Original post by nucdev
Fair enough, it was perhaps an over-generalization.

Your opinion on Modi?

I don't have an opinion on him, to be honest. I know next to nothing about Indian politics. In fact, I only even started taking an interest in UK politics this year.

Well if you went over to facebook and saw what Dal Khalsa and most of the posts are about-

mostly about how Modi is a 2nd hitler. modi is taliban, RSS and hindutva are terrorists? Im not over generalising. Im repeating what i see
I don't have an opinion on him, to be honest. I know next to nothing about Indian politics. In fact, I only even started taking an interest in UK politics this year.

OK cool.
Well if you think UK politics is complicated, then wait till you try and understand India's politics!

But, has to be said, it is a LOT more interesting than the UK's (and a lot more corrupt and dirty!)
Original post by nucdev
OK cool.
Well if you think UK politics is complicated, then wait till you try and understand India's politics!

But, has to be said, it is a LOT more interesting than the UK's (and a lot more corrupt and dirty!)

I'm on a gap year at the moment so plenty of time. Yeah, I hear about the corruption all the time.

My dad said that Badal should be paraded around naked on a donkey and people should be made to throw their shoes at him lmao.

Well if you went over to facebook and saw what Dal Khalsa and most of the posts are about-mostly about how Modi is a 2nd hitler. modi is taliban, RSS and hindutva are terrorists? Im not over generalising. Im repeating what i see
The internet rarely ever represents what people in the real world think. Just look at any football team's Facebook page and observe some of the chutiyas that comment there.
Well if you went over to facebook and saw what Dal Khalsa and most of the posts are about-

mostly about how Modi is a 2nd hitler. modi is taliban, RSS and hindutva are terrorists? Im not over generalising. Im repeating what i see

That is true (I've seen those posts), but we shouldn't extrapolate and say that they represent all British Sikhs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah fair enough, Not that those pointless protests had any effect. 60,000 people vs a handful of joke khalistani protestors outside the stadium. You can do the maths lol

Quick Reply

Latest