The Student Room Group

stalling your car

what's your reaction on it?

For me it happened today but i'm not used to drive my petrol car (Clio) yet

When was the tast time it happened to you? (if it still happen sometimes)

if you want you can share here a stalling story lol

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Generally I swear.

Happens all the time if I'm manoeuvring my car when I've started it from cold leaving work (have to zigzag out of where I park). Probably needs the injectors cleaning or something, but I can't be bothered with it.
I stalled a fair amount of time when I was taking lessons & my immediate reaction is whether there are any other cars nearby, & secretly hoping there isn't so there's not any pressure to get started again quickly :h:
I've been driving a couple of years and still stall occasionally, usually when I'm tired and/or not paying attention. It's not really a problem, just press the clutch and start the engine again. Use handbrake if on a steep hill obviously
When I first passed my test (after the 5th attempt) I went through a phase of stalling regularly. I developed such a fear of it, the pressure of needing to get going again with everyone waiting behind me. After a year or so with a different car, I stopped stalling and never did again. I think it's just something you learn not to do (by putting enough gas on!). Also at one point I had an automatic car lent by my company. It was like a dream, takes all the stress out of driving. If I ever get to the point where I can afford to run a car again, I would defo go for auto.
Haven't stalled for so long don't even know how long. I rarely stalled when learning too.
Ugh its happened so many times now I just go slow and start up. My dads Peugeot has a hideous clutch.

Idc what people behind think.
God I stalled the other day driving my grandads car to the garage - it's old and dying and jesus christ it belongs in the skip
Stalled on a roundabout
Apparently 3rd gear was just too much for the poor thing to take.....

I literally restarted the thing within half a second so didn't affect anyone but it's pretty frustrating.
The only way to recover from the embarrassment of stalling is to wheel spin when you set off again. That way your pride is intact and you have just impressed everyone with your wheel spin.
Usually happens when I'm reversing slowly and concentrating on my mirrors. Sometimes on take off if I wearing shoes that I'm not used to when driving, or a new clutch etc.
I stalled about a minute after starting my test! Didn't stall the car for so long before that and it just had to happen then! Passed anyway.

Changing from a diesel (learner car) to my first car, a petrol one, was weird and I stalled a few times but haven't stalled for a while now, maybe a year or so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've only ever stalled once and that was when I upgraded my car to something much more powerful.
Original post by Multitalented me
I stalled a fair amount of time when I was taking lessons & my immediate reaction is whether there are any other cars nearby, & secretly hoping there isn't so there's not any pressure to get started again quickly :h:

I remember stalling a few times when learning to drive, it's the worst when there are cars around.
I remember stalling on a hill once and there was a few cars behind me and I just couldn't do the hill start. The pressure didn't help. It probably only lasted 30 seconds but it felt like 30 minutes.

Quick Reply

Latest