The Student Room Group

Would you stay away from someone or think they were odd for doing this?

If you knew a 28 year old girl/woman who dated a 57 year old man would you think she was odd, would you not want to be friends with her?

I did and people now give me funny looks (me and the man go to the same fitness club have done for years he used to train me but i always had a bit of a crush on him)

Dont know if im just imagining things but since people found out they sort of stare, smile a bit then look away.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you're happy, ignore the rest. I personally wouldn't care who you were dating.
Reply 2
ewwww
57 wtf the only reason you dated him was for the money.
I may find it a bit odd at first but if you were my friend I'd probably voice any concerns instantly and then quickly get over it. I'm not sure if I'd ever want to hang out with someone so much older in terms of going out etc, but I'd definitely not break up a friendship over it.
Original post by civilstudent
If you knew a 28 year old girl/woman who dated a 57 year old man would you think she was odd, would you not want to be friends with her?

I did and people now give me funny looks (me and the man go to the same fitness club have done for years he used to train me but i always had a bit of a crush on him)

Dont know if im just imagining things but since people found out they sort of stare, smile a bit then look away.

As long as you're happy, why should you care what others think.
Honestly, no.

You're both adult and not a young adult.
I believe you know what you are doing.

As long you're happy.

Ignore other people judgements. Who are they to judge? It's your own business and not theirs.

Lastly, a love would not be affected by the surroundings.
I'd find it odd but really it's none of my business, and other people's opinions shouldn't influence how you act. We'd never do anything!
tbh, its not like she's 12
Reply 9
I lived with a family where there was a 28 year old woman married to a 55 year old man. Most people (including me to start) judged them. A rich, not conventially handsome middle aged European man who was already divorced married to a really beautiful, young Russian woman. But when I got to know them, I realised that it wasn't like that, at least it wasn't a conscious decision. She was more than a trophy wife for him and he was more than a sugar daddy for her. They loved each other, it was the most loving and beautiful marriage I've ever seen, they were great parents together to their young child. Although I did before, I wouldn't anymore judge anyone who was in a relationship with someone much younger/older than them.
Reply 10
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I'd find it odd but really it's none of my business, and other people's opinions shouldn't influence how you act. We'd never do anything!

This.
Ok thanks. Its just if someone suggested i date a 50 odd year old i would be like eww no way but he is different like i see him rather than his age : /
Stranger things have happened :smile:
Original post by upagumtree
Stranger things have happened :smile:

Like what lol
No. I think it's sweet. They must face so much judgement and prejudice everyday, yet they withstand it all just to be together.
Honestly wouldn't care OP.
Your life, your choice, you're both entitled to freewill.
Out of interest would it bother you guys if say a potential girlfriend/girl you liked had previously had a boyfriend 30 years older than her? Would you view her as dirty or promiscious or anything like that?
(edited 9 years ago)
Why did you start dating him may I ask? Also did you sleep with him?
It's never something I would do, and to be honest I would find it a bit weird.

But why should you care? As long as you two are happy, you shouldn't care what other people would think about it. And it certainly wouldn't stop me from being friends with you :smile:
Wouldn't bother me, I'd wonder why you did but I probably wouldn't ask unless we were good friends and you seemed open to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending