The Student Room Group

I ran a red light (unintentionally) and noticed a flash. Worse case scenario?

Today, around 7:30pm I ran a red light in the Knightsbridge/Kensington area in London. I don't know the exact road but it was a large road with 4 lanes. It's an area I'm unfamiliar and have never driven in before. I was approaching the light at 30mph (the speed limit) and looked down for a second at my sat nav. In doing so, I lost concentration for a moment and when I looked back up, the light had turned amber and I just kept going. The light turned red a second or two before I had passed it and when I did, I saw a flash behind me. I'm naturally not 100% sure whether the flash was for me or someone else as I did see speed cameras in the area so it could have been that.

Looking back, I will put my hand up and say I made a mistake and going forward, will try and learn from it. But it is what it is. I've done some research and it looks like the standard fine is £60 which I am fine with. What I am worried about though is getting 3 points on my licence.

I started driving in Feb 2013 and have been with the same insurer and have had no accidents thus far. My renewal premium in Feb 2014 was about £500 with the 1 year No Claims Bonus. So my question now is, say in the worse case scenario, I get a letter saying I've got a fine and 3 points on my license, how is this likely to affect my insurance come Feb 2015?

Edit: I'm a 20 y.o male. Car is an 2002 Ford Focus.
Shouldn't affect it too much. Just don't expect it to go too far below £500.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending