The Student Room Group

Firming a university without visiting it? Wise move or not?

I was just wondering... has anyone ever gone to university WITHOUT visiting the open day or applicants day? I'm definitely going to visit the universities I've got an offer from before I decide on my 'Firm' and 'Insurance', but I'm interested in how people got on from doing so? Did it turn out better than expected? Did it suck? etc. :smile: Just would like to read about people's uni experiences :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am sure a lot of international students have gone to universities without visiting them..
Original post by Bruno26
I was just wondering... has anyone ever gone to university WITHOUT visiting the open day or applicants day? I'm definitely going to visit the universities I've got an offer from before I decide on my 'Firm' and 'Insurance', but I'm interested in how people got on from doing so? Did it turn out better than expected? Did it suck? etc. :smile: Just would like to read about people's uni experiences :smile:

My brother didn't, he firmed it, he's currently in his first year in Leeds and he's loving it, I think.
Reply 3
Original post by Buxtonwater
My brother didn't, he firmed it, he's currently in his first year in Leeds and he's loving it, I think.

That's good then! Leeds is a great place and uni :smile:
I've moved this to applications and UCAS :smile:
My sister did, we got there and she hated it and then she left the same day

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've firmed UCL without visiting; I know London really well and I like the course so I can't see myself being unhappy

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's always a bit of risk. Southampton university is a great uni for my course, but I hated it and hated southampton, it was like croydon on the sea (NB only my opinion before anyone shouts at me), and I didn't put it down as one of my choices. However if I hadn't been able to visit any universities, logically that would have been one of my main choices
Original post by louisewestlake
It's always a bit of risk. Southampton university is a great uni for my course, but I hated it and hated southampton, it was like croydon on the sea (NB only my opinion before anyone shouts at me), and I didn't put it down as one of my choices. However if I hadn't been able to visit any universities, logically that would have been one of my main choices

Yeah Southampton was the uni my sister firmed without visiting and then hated it and left

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh well, maybe my instincts were right !
Before I visited Leeds I was sure I was going to firm it, but then I ended up hating it.
Reply 11
If it is possible for you to visit, and you don't, that's incredibly short sighted. You're going to spend 3-4 years, invest tens of thousands of pounds and have a potentially life defining experience academically and socially. Is it really not worth the sacrifice of a day and a bit of money?
Ask current students through Facebook etc....
See as many videos and articles relating to the uni
Original post by Bruno26

There are usally openday and aplican't days I went to them i quite enjoyed them you got to here about the course and socal life and you got to see some of the halls and then if there's time like if you have a hotel or your mum or dad took you down ten you can go explore the town (also important) you need to make shour that you are happy there don't you? On the halls side lot's of uni's have vertual tours.

Here is the solent halls page with VT
http://www.solent.ac.uk/studying/accommodation/accommodation-at-solent/student-residences/residences.aspx
(edited 9 years ago)
Would never firm an offer without: speaking to the course leader to find out more about the course, speaking to existing students about their experience and having a look around the uni / city.
I went to visit Birmingham an put it down as my number 1 choice. I live quite near anyway and visit the city a lot so I know I will be happy there, but I went to check out the campus and law school anyway. I will also go to an offer holders day
Going to university is a massive investment of time (3 or 4 years) plus money, so you should always check the facilities and the place AND meet and chat to the course leader. What is their experience, their connections and who will be teaching you?
Reply 17
Oh, loads of people have done it and been fine. International students or those who live far away from their chosen uni might have visited it, but what about people that can't afford to splash out loads on flights and trains etc?
I will visit my firm uni, but that's because I live in Kent and have applied only to London unis. So I will spend about £20-25 on the train and tube etc. instead of the £80-100 I can't afford on a trip to a uni up in Scotland.

At least look at all the photos and if the website does a virtual tour, use that. Its better than nothing.
My daughter didn't do as well as she'd hoped in her exams and missed her first university (which she had visited and ADORED! She had also thought to apply to LSE but dropped it as an option after visiting it). She had already had second thoughts about her insurance so even though they accepted her she dropped it and got an offer from Queen Mary through clearing.

Not wanting to go to a university that she'd never seen we managed to arrange flights over to London on the next weekend to view QMUL. Although it was closed a porter let her and my wife in to look around but in the end she wasn't taken with either the university or the local area (plus London is very expensive for living).

She is now very happy at the university here in Dublin - it is a great university with a beautiful historic campus - she was very familiar with it and now she not only has her old friends but has made loads of new ones through her course and societies.

I definitely recommend viewing the university before you commit to a 3-4 year course.
Original post by Bruno26

My brother did. He got an unconditional from Birmingham last year. Went to Newcastle and Durham open days but had never been near Birmingham. He looked at the prospectus and at their website instead. He firmed Birmingham and started in September and loves it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending