The Student Room Group

Help me understand scottish qualifications?

I'm looking to move to Scotland and study Social Sciences HNC however I don't know what the usual requirements for these courses are.

Do I need GCSEs and A Levels or is just GCSE's enough to allow access onto these courses?

Thanks! x
Original post by atheneji18
I'm looking to move to Scotland and study Social Sciences HNC however I don't know what the usual requirements for these courses are.

Do I need GCSEs and A Levels or is just GCSE's enough to allow access onto these courses?

Thanks! x

HNC is roughly equivalent to A-level (but the 'vocational version'), so GCSEs would be fine. Although it is best to check the website of the colleges you are considering for more specific entry requirements (how many GCSEs, what grade etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Yes, GCSEs are equivalent to Standard Grade/National, and A Levels are equal to highers so for an HNC you probably won't require anything more than GCSEs- my cousin got in with just his nationals, for an HND or a degree however you will almost certainly need highers
Hi,

I don't know how you have got on, I appreciate that this is an old thread. But I am from England and doing a HNC Social Sciences in Scotland. I did Highers here anyway because I never got near A Levels back in England. A Scottish Higher is actually equivalent to an AS-Level. Advanced Highers are the equivalent to A-Levels.

The only requirement for my course was that I had Higher English and one Higher in a Social subject, but if you are a mature student you can get on without any formal qualifications as long as you can demonstrate your English. Some people got on after a short written evaluation at their interview. If you have A's and B's in your GCSE's I think you could probably get on but your best bet is to ring the college you are interested in and speak to them. Try and get hold of one of the course tutors rather than just an admin person and have a really good chat.

Good Luck
X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending