The Student Room Group

OXBRIDGE REJECTS! What university are you going to go to now?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nhtw
Haha I think anyone whos on this thread is probably in that boat. Very able, high expectations from ourselves and those around us, probably our first major failure after a history of academic success which makes the fall all the worse.
Personally, I never took the idea of not making it in seriously which I know seems very naive and arrogant but I really believed I had the qualifying abilities. So the rejection really did hit me hard. It felt like somebody I'd known since childhood had died. This dream of making it into oxbridge ripped away from beneath my feet. It left me questioning whether I was ever good enough, was I fooling myself all these years? I've since spent countless minutes trying to find something to blame for my failure. What would have happened had this gone differently, had I chosen a different college, if the interview had been on a different day. But all for nothing. It is what it is. This makes no ****ing sense

I don't think that sounds arrogant at all, it's difficult because you can't be half hearted about it and so it's then hard to try and pull yourself back to ground level, especially after interviews when you feel so close. I have to keep reminding myself that there are SO many good people, so there has to be an element of luck involved or we'd all get in. Which college/subject did you apply for? I think I'm gonna treat this as a trial run and hopefully results will allow me to reapply...it's a good way to keep positive about this whole thing!
Original post by nhtw
Haha I think anyone whos on this thread is probably in that boat. Very able, high expectations from ourselves and those around us, probably our first major failure after a history of academic success which makes the fall all the worse.
Personally, I never took the idea of not making it in seriously which I know seems very naive and arrogant but I really believed I had the qualifying abilities. So the rejection really did hit me hard. It felt like somebody I'd known since childhood had died. This dream of making it into oxbridge ripped away from beneath my feet. It left me questioning whether I was ever good enough, was I fooling myself all these years? I've since spent countless minutes trying to find something to blame for my failure. What would have happened had this gone differently, had I chosen a different college, if the interview had been on a different day. But all for nothing. It is what it is. This makes no ****ing sense

Yes! You sir, have just put my thoughts into perfect worded sense.
You don't sound remotely arrogant at all, I feel the same and by the sounds of things so did my school haah. What subject were you applying for?
When I got rejected, for a couple of days after I genuinely felt like I was in mourning, my dream and my ambition I'd had for so long was just... gone. Gone with no sincerity or information past 'Unfortunately we have not been able to make you an offer.'

I felt so worthless and nasty and began to question everything about myself.

But the pain did begin to lessen and I'm feeling much more positive. I still don't feel I can let it go though. It hurts so much that it can never be a part of my life now, that I won't be going there in October after college.

:smile: What university are you looking at now? :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by Luceflower
I don't think that sounds arrogant at all, it's difficult because you can't be half hearted about it and so it's then hard to try and pull yourself back to ground level, especially after interviews when you feel so close. I have to keep reminding myself that there are SO many good people, so there has to be an element of luck involved or we'd all get in. Which college/subject did you apply for? I think I'm gonna treat this as a trial run and hopefully results will allow me to reapply...it's a good way to keep positive about this whole thing!

Hey, thank you for your console :smile:and yeah I completely agree about there being the element of luck. So much of the application is completely out of our control. Reminds me of an anecdote. An employer takes a stack of applicant CVs and puts half into a shredder without reading them. A confused onlooking secretary questions the employer of his actions. The employer replies, 'I only want lucky employees in my business.' Thought you would find that amusing. I applied to do Engineering at University College Oxford. And yeah me too, I'm going to reapply if I get the grades but I have no idea what excuse I might use for taking a gap year haha
Reply 23
Original post by subjunctivehistorian
Yes! You sir, have just put my thoughts into perfect worded sense.
You don't sound remotely arrogant at all, I feel the same and by the sounds of things so did my school haah. What subject were you applying for?
When I got rejected, for a couple of days after I genuinely felt like I was in mourning, my dream and my ambition I'd had for so long was just... gone. Gone with no sincerity or information past 'Unfortunately we have not been able to make you an offer.'

I felt so worthless and nasty and began to question everything about myself.

But the pain did begin to lessen and I'm feeling much more positive. I still don't feel I can let it go though. It hurts so much that it can never be a part of my life now, that I won't be going there in October after college.

:smile: What university are you looking at now? :biggrin:

Hey! It's nice to have people on the same wavelength and in the same boat, not that I wanted people to fail hahaha... well actually maybe I did... if it meant i could get a place :wink:. I applied for Engineering and I'm guessing you applied for history? I think mourning sums up exactly how I was after the rejection. In the beginning I tried to make it seem like not a big deal and that I didn't care that much, partly so I wouldn't make other people sad for me and partly to comfort myself because I knew how badly I had wanted it. Yeah things have improved but, like yourself, it's not left completely. Sometimes out of the blue I'll find myself feeling so sad because, in your words exactly, "it can never be a part of my life now".
My best offer so far is from manchester but if i get the grades i'm looking to reapply. I just want it so bad. It's weird to think this happens to people every year.
Original post by nhtw
Hey, thank you for your console :smile:and yeah I completely agree about there being the element of luck. So much of the application is completely out of our control. Reminds me of an anecdote. An employer takes a stack of applicant CVs and puts half into a shredder without reading them. A confused onlooking secretary questions the employer of his actions. The employer replies, 'I only want lucky employees in my business.' Thought you would find that amusing. I applied to do Engineering at University College Oxford. And yeah me too, I'm going to reapply if I get the grades but I have no idea what excuse I might use for taking a gap year haha

You are right about luck. Sometimes, it boils down to that and it is uncontrollable and unknowable. Welcome to real life.
Name: Paladian
Predicted Grades: N/A
Unsuccessful College and Course: Architecture at Gonville and Caius
Offers held currently: N/A
Ideal University: Oxford

I applied to Cambridge university I had no GCSE's and no A levels and was currently undertaking an access course. I got an interview and was offered an interview at the art history department. My art was poor my background reading was strong. I've now decided to study part time at the university of oxford in art history.

I loved architecture (still do) even so far as trying it out at university. I didn't get on well with it and have decided to go with art history as it is something I'm good at. I'm doing part time because I design for a living I'm self employed and sell t shirts, hoping to expand into putting my designs on other objects. I also paint and when my collection is big enough I'll try to exhibit.

All this suits me and I look back to when I applied to cambridge and can see now its all for the best.

Name: georgiaf
Predicted Grades: A* A* A* (plus A* in EPQ achieved)
Unsuccessful College and Course: English language and literature, Somerville, Oxford
Offers held currently: Durham, York, Exeter, Edinburgh
Ideal University: Not sure!!

I had really hoped to get in to Oxford for English, but I was pooled and unsuccessful. At the moment I am seriously considering Durham as I think the course is similar and I'll enjoy myself there. However, I might reapply to Cambridge next year, if I get three A*s. I prefer their admissions system, and probably should have applied there this year, given my high UMS. Shame I didn't know about the differences between Ox and Cam at the time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending