The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature GCSE 2015 JUNE SUMMER *OFFICIAL THREAD* OMAM AIC

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aigroeg
how do u talk about violence for part b aside from curley and lennie?????

You could talk about how George was the one to encourage Lennie's violence and could sometimes become quite aggressive and mean towards Lennie.
Also, maybe how George said to Slim that lonely people get mean so perhaps that is why all the characters such as Curley are violent.
Oh and Carlson is also an aggressive character who's always looking for fights.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Marco Pollo
For the OMAM questions, how are the marks split up between the two questions? Leading on from this, how much time should i spend on each section of the question?

I think the marks are split in half so you should spend the same amount of time on each (about 22-23 minutes)
Reply 382
Original post by jackmala
If there was a question on Mr Birling, how would you do an intro?

You could briefly talk about how he is a consistent character throughout the book as he never takes responsibility for his actions leading to Eva's death and in a way how priestley portrays him to be an middle/upper class person...

However... don't trust me 100% because I not that great at English lit:')
Original post by saraix
You could briefly talk about how he is a consistent character throughout the book as he never takes responsibility for his actions leading to Eva's death and in a way how priestley portrays him to be an middle/upper class person...

However... don't trust me 100% because I not that great at English lit:')

Thanks and I'm also not very good at it :biggrin:
Reply 384
Why was Of Mice and Men set in the 1930's?
^ Because that was the time of the great depression

Should i be writing introductions and conclusions for the OMAM questions?
Anyone do mister pip/ kinder transport?
Original post by Sianyoo
Why was Of Mice and Men set in the 1930's?

That was the time on the Great Depression and economical crisis. That led to farming industry failing (Dust Bowl caused this) and there were many migrant labourers (e.g. George and Lennie). Also, there was a lot of racial prejudice towards Women (e.g. Curley's Wife), disabled (e.g. Lennie) and the so-called negro race (e.g. Crooks). Hope that helped.
Original post by albertquar
This exam for me is tomorrow morning. Does anyone have any points about Crooks?

- Crooks represents black men in 1930's America, a time when there was a lot of racism. Steinbeck wants to show these prejudiced views so he makes the characters treat Crooks with little respect. He is either picked on or just ignored. To emphasise that this happens all the time in society, Steinbeck shows George to be rude towards Crooks too. George is meant to represent the everyday man in America showing that it is not just the 'evil' characters like Curley who have these racist attitudes. Slim is the only character in the book who treats Crooks with any respect. It might be that Steinbeck wrote Slim as a reflection of himself and his beliefs.

- You could talk about the scene in Crooks' room about how he's a proud man but is in the end still lonely and looking for a guy to talk to. This lonliness comes out in the form of bitterness towards Lennie which links into how George said that lonely people get mean. It is this loneliness and pride which make him want to become involved in the dream. He wants to have the dignity of working for himself which to a Black man in that society would be something highly sought after.

- He is however, vulnerable. During chapter 4 it is made clear that he is even lower in society than Curley's wife and therefore all women in society as Curley's wife says "I could get you strung up.. so easy". Furthermore, with Lennie's death it is clear that Crooks' dreams will never come true and this is reflected in the structure. At the beginning of chapter 4, Crooks is rubbing liniment into his back and at the end of the chapter he resumes doing this. This cyclical structure shows that everyone always ends up back where they started and they are almost trapped in society where no-one's dreams will ever come true particularly for someone as low down the social hierarchy as Crooks.

Yeah so those were just the points I would use in an essay on Crooks, I didn't put in any quotes or anything but I hope that helped.
Reply 389
Original post by Serena P
That was the time on the Great Depression and economical crisis. That led to farming industry failing (Dust Bowl caused this) and there were many migrant labourers (e.g. George and Lennie). Also, there was a lot of racial prejudice towards Women (e.g. Curley's Wife), disabled (e.g. Lennie) and the so-called negro race (e.g. Crooks). Hope that helped.

thank you :smile:
Original post by _ariane29
Hi I'm doing the exam this year too ������ Studying the crucible, of mice and men and the character and voice section.
I haven't even read of mice and men yet either ~ I was supposed to have read it ages ago but I keep prolonging it as I can't seem to motivate myself to get through half the book. . .
Have you guys done your coursework yet? ������

Im doing the exact same as you! If you have any questions just ask :smile: and Good Luck
Original post by spnlove
I think the marks are split in half so you should spend the same amount of time on each (about 22-23 minutes)

You should try do 20mins on A and 25mins on B as there are more marks in part B
^ Because that was the time of the great depression

Should i be writing introductions and conclusions for the OMAM questions?

Yeh but they don't have to be very long
Original post by youreanutter
wish i had an idea but predictions are usually wrong

Think Mice and Men could be based around Dreams- The American dream, Curley's wife's dream etc
Original post by aigroeg
how do u talk about violence for part b aside from curley and lennie?????

There was a lot of violence around Curley in general and also between Curley's Wife and Crooks - she posed death threats to him and were acting as though they were in the natural world (predator and prey). Hope that helped :smile:
Does anyone have any idea on what the Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls Questions will be on tomorrow
Reply 396
For the OMAM questions, how are the marks split up between the two questions? Leading on from this, how much time should i spend on each section of the question?

Annoyingly, they don't split it up. You are marked for the overall response- so if your part A is brilliant but you only had a couple of paragraphs on B then you'll be pulled down overall. The whole exam is 90 minutes, so spend half of that on the other text (A) and half on OMAM. Of the OMAM, I'd spend 5 minutes on reading and annotating the extract, and a short plan, 20 minutes on part a and 20 on part b. Both sections (OMAM and other text) have 34 marks each (4 SPAG).
I've heard from other chat rooms that predictions for OMAM is that it will be on the character Curley. I have no idea for AIC though as I am doing the crucible...
Original post by youreanutter
Hello everyone doing this exam this is the official thread to talk about revision work and anything else related to the exam

this is the one im most scared about

im doing conflict poetry of mice and men and an inspector calls

For an inspector calls, what are the character/theme predictions?
Here is what I thought:
______________________________________________________________________________________
January 2011
Summary: Tension & Selfishness
June 2011
Summary: Contrasts & Change in Sheila
January 2012
Summary: Responsibility & Gerald
June 2012
Summary: Stage Directions & Inspector
January 2013
Summary: Social Class & Mrs Birling
June 2013
Summary: Play Ending & Eric
June 2014
Summary: Gender & Eva Smith

Its likely that Mr Birling will come up as he has never on this spec. If you think about it though, AQA has repeated the 2013 relationships poem in the 2014 exam, so a character or theme from 2013/14 might be repeated. I think its likely that Gerald or Sheila might come up though so with that I agree.

Good luck with the exam tomorrow!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending