The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature GCSE 2015 JUNE SUMMER *OFFICIAL THREAD* OMAM AIC

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Avocado2002
No, because there wasn't a question on Charge of the Light Brigade!

Yes there was a question about this on the foundation paper
Now that the English lit exams are over "life is now better than it was before"
Original post by srw98
for conflict for mametz wood I just wrote about effects of conflict and compared it to futility, completely misread the question and didn't mention place. Will I get any marks?

I compared those two and I linked them back to the question (places):
Both use FARMLAND as a medium to express life
Both talk about the futility of life n the BATTLEFIELD
Both use the EARTH (PLANET)/EARTH (SOIL)

The things in bold is how I linked them to places
I did that as well but compared it with come on come back
Reply 984
Original post by phoebeisgreat
Let's hope! But apparently quite a few people misread the question...what are you aiming for??

Posted from TSR Mobile

phew, well I got an a* in my mock and coursework, and the one on monday went okay, but I think after today the highest I can really get is an a, which I'd obviously still be happy with. how about you?
Reply 985
Original post by blitzchika
I compared those two and I linked them back to the question (places):
Both use FARMLAND as a medium to express life
Both talk about the futility of life n the BATTLEFIELD
Both use the EARTH (PLANET)/EARTH (SOIL)

The things in bold is how I linked them to places

ooh that's good. See I didn't see place, so just talked about effect of war (mostly on soldiers), relationship between nature and war, futility and transience of life:')
Original post by srw98
ooh that's good. See I didn't see place, so just talked about effect of war (mostly on soldiers), relationship between nature and war, futility and transience of life:')

I never really talked about places and now I'm panicking even though my analysis was top notch.

Will I lose all the marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by srw98
ooh that's good. See I didn't see place, so just talked about effect of war (mostly on soldiers), relationship between nature and war, futility and transience of life:':wink:

I'm sure they'll give you something for nature at least as that can be considered like a place :smile:
Original post by srw98
phew, well I got an a* in my mock and coursework, and the one on monday went okay, but I think after today the highest I can really get is an a, which I'd obviously still be happy with. how about you?

I feel exactly the same way-do you know if the grade boundaries are normally low??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phoebeisgreat
I feel exactly the same way-do you know if the grade boundaries are normally low??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Past grade boundaries for an A* have been 37, 38, and 39

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stows66
What poems did people compare Brendan Gallacher with?

Checking out me history x
I did the manhunt question and compared it to sister maude, is that a good comparison ?
Original post by hannahoreilly56
did anyone do the manhunt question and what did you compare it with? I did brothers because there is a broken relationship between the siblings :h:

Same I did the manhunt question. I was so happy that it came up because it was the only poem I seriously revised (Thank God). I compared it to brothers too, although I think I should have compared it to sister Maude.. but I couldn't really say anything about structure in sister Maude so I didn't, even though it had way more language techniques.

I said that both poems use structure to present damaged relationships. Manhunt does this by using half rhymes to show incompleteness in the relationship and therefore damaged. I said it contrasted with the couplet structure of the poem which could show confusion and lack of communication etc.

In brothers I wrote about the fact that the last stanza had only 4 lines as apposed to the usual 5 which literally shows that the younger brother got left behind. I kinda used really big and long words to show that I was writing a lot about a little :colondollar:

I then talked about lang tech. So in manhunt the quote about blown hinge of his lower jaw or something, shows he can't communicate and would be a problem as a relationship is based of communication. I also said that the blown hinge emphasised the damage in the relationship as it has images to heavy artillery in wars which are extremely damaging.

In brothers I talked about the older brother 'chasing olympic gold' and younger brother having a coin. The olympic gold is more prestige than a coin, highlighting the growing rift between the brothers. Talked about how 'chased' is very stealthy and fast which shows how fast the relationship is being damaged and if not fixed it could ruin the relationship forever. I justified this through the last line that said something about him not being able to close the distance he set in motion.

Hopefully this gets me at least and A. :daydreaming:
Original post by Littleonezz
I did the manhunt question and compared it to sister maude, is that a good comparison ?

I'd say its a good comparison because sister Maude has a lot of language techniques in the poems such as metaphors and imagery etc. What did you write? I chose brothers though, because I could then talk about structure as well as language techniques.
i compared nettles to manhunt but there wasnt really a strong argument for the damaged relationship in nettles as i only properly read the question after id finished 3/4 of the essay
Original post by swagmister
Now that the English lit exams are over "life is now better than it was before"

I see what you did there - unseen poem LOL.

PS Happy Birthday for yesterday, sorry its late babe.
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Past grade boundaries for an A* have been 37, 38, and 39

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's quite low...and the examiners won't mark us too harshly I guess :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 997
Original post by DaringDaniel
I never really talked about places and now I'm panicking even though my analysis was top notch.

Will I lose all the marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

don't worry I did exactly the same:frown:
What did you guys write about the unseen poem?

I wrote about how she listed symptoms before saying life was better, presenting love as worth it. I developed it by picking out certain negative symptoms like insomnia fear etc so then it shows that love can overcome this and and that it emphasised the worthiness of love.

I also picked up on a juxtaposition on a line where she said that she longed for love but she dreaded whats to come. It shows fear in the narrator by you could see by the end of the stanza that the girl accepted love showing that she overcame the fear, therefore presenting love as a powerful force that can sustain you and help you do anything as long as you have it.
ATTENTION! PLEASE READ:

I do character and voice, and chose to compare Brendon Gallacher with the poem Give.

No one else did this.

I am about to chop my legs off! Is this comparison ok??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending