The Student Room Group

Christmas cretins and other favourites

I was walking home from the pub with some friends last week, and we counted four houses with Christmas trees or lights up in the window. This was on the 24th, over two months before Christmas.

The next day I was watching TV, and to my horror, Argos have already started their Christmas advertising campaign. As if that wasn't bad enough, I went home on Saturday and on the way I saw a house with its front covered in decorations. It's quite possible that they have been there all year. :puke:

I absolutely HATE this. I am not religious, but I love Christmas time. I love it because it's just a few days of the when there is a special atmosphere, when things aren't perfect but there is an overriding feeling of happiness and positivity. It's nice to have something like that to look forward to.

People and shops who start celebrating and cashing-in on Christmas this early destroy everything that's special about it. I don't think there's anything that can be done to stop it, as there's so much money to be made and there are some people who are just too cretinous to change their ways. I just wanted to vent my bulging spleen. :teeth:
Reply 1
half face
The next day I was watching TV, and to my horror, Argos have already started their Christmas advertising campaign. As if that wasn't bad enough, I went home on Saturday and on the way I saw a house with its front covered in decorations. It's quite possible that they have been there all year. :puke:

Someone in my village did that. It's because they didn't take them down in time (for Twelfth Night?) and are therefore cursed unless they leave them up all year. They only did it symbolically with a white-lighted three in the entrance vestibule though, but it was still rather odd.

People and shops who start celebrating and cashing-in on Christmas this early destroy everything that's special about it. I don't think there's anything that can be done to stop it, as there's so much money to be made and there are some people who are just too cretinous to change their ways. I just wanted to vent my bulging spleen. :teeth:

Yep.
Reply 2
Most places now have been selling xmas stuff for a while (ie my local Sainsburys was selling xmas cards/paper about beginning of Oct). Its just ridiculous, it gets worse every year!!
I don't have a TV at uni.This means that I am safe from bombardment of pre-christmas christmas advertising. Or atleast, I hope I am.

When i rule the world (And just wait, because one day, I will) I will pass a law which states that you cannot do christmas stuff before 25th November.

Or something like that. I'll call it the "Public Sanity Act"
Reply 4
I have already started my xmas shopping but thats just because I dont live near most of my family or my bfs family, so it needs to be done early so it can be packaged and sent to them.
Every single year I feel a little less jolly, and I think it's to do with all the advertisement and stuff. It makes baby Jesus cry.
Reply 6
In France last year I didn't see anything Christmassy until Dec 10th. This year I saw stuff in Tesco on the first week of October. Tossers.
Reply 7
At the Boots I work at, I helped stack all the Christmas stock on the shelves during early October. With every overpackaged box of shower gel I felt guiltier and guiltier :frown:.
Reply 8
Don't get me started!
My birthday is at the beginning of October and I get so annoyed when people start talking about Christmas before my birthday. Dammit I don't care about Jesus friggin birthday when it's only just October:mad:
Reply 9
I don't think most people who care about Christmas care about Jesus's birthday, whatever time of year it is.
Reply 10
Yes it's really annoying. I agree.
Reply 11
Christmas is a real let down, kind of like death i mean it's probably like sleep how boring we want clouds or devils with sticks
Reply 12
it should start in november.... you know in time for the advent season... since christmas is about the birth of christ, so i dont see why people seems to see christmas as like a party climax or something :biggrin:...

November yes.. October, HELL NO!!!

ROFL look at the irony :rolleyes:
Reply 13
There's one sure way of stopping all this---

People of Britain: Stop buying Xmas tat in October!
My friend works in a Christmas shop - selling decorations and things all year round! lol, i would not be able to hack that!

-x-

Latest

Trending

Trending