The Student Room Group

4 rejections

Hi all,

I'm in a horrible position where I have been trying to get into undergraduate medical school for 2 years now and have now received my final rejection without interview this year. (I had one interview last year with Bristol)

My story is:
G.C.S.E's all A*/A
A- level- AAB (Chemistry, Biology Maths)
Degree- MSci in Pharmacology, KCL, 2.i
Current job- clinical research technician.

Bags of experience and voluntary work.
My weakness seems to be the UKCAT (630)

My question is, how would anyone approach 2016 apps, is it worth doing the GAMSAT and BMAT? Or should I just concentrate on UKCAT again. What else could I be doing to at least get an interview for next year. Seems hopeless.

Anyone in my position at all?
Reply 1
Original post by ratherpainful
Hi all,

I'm in a horrible position where I have been trying to get into undergraduate medical school for 2 years now and have now received my final rejection without interview this year. (I had one interview last year with Bristol)

My story is:
G.C.S.E's all A*/A
A- level- AAB (Chemistry, Biology Maths)
Degree- MSci in Pharmacology, KCL, 2.i
Current job- clinical research technician.

Bags of experience and voluntary work.
My weakness seems to be the UKCAT (630)

My question is, how would anyone approach 2016 apps, is it worth doing the GAMSAT and BMAT? Or should I just concentrate on UKCAT again. What else could I be doing to at least get an interview for next year. Seems hopeless.

Anyone in my position at all?

BMAT is a very heavy gamble to take as you do the exams after you submit the application, so if you screw it up, you've basically wasted an option.

I'd recommend focusing on the UKCAT, using things like medify, emedica or even attending one of the courses if you can.

Just apply again next year.

I'd recommend you get feedback from all the universities as there must be something that's not right.
Reply 2
Hi! I have applied for the first time this year - and only to ukcat universities. I have had rejections too and now only have newcastle to hear back from.

I am planning to take ukcat and gay this year to maximise my options next cycle.

I plan to take a ukcat course. Gamsat is my main worry as I don't have a science background...

Where are you based? Have you made any decisions yet?
Original post by Fogalog
Hi! I have applied for the first time this year - and only to ukcat universities. I have had rejections too and now only have newcastle to hear back from.

I am planning to take ukcat and gay this year to maximise my options next cycle.

I plan to take a ukcat course. Gamsat is my main worry as I don't have a science background...

Where are you based? Have you made any decisions yet?

Hi, thanks for your reply :smile:

I'm based in london, and am considering the gamsat due to my science background ...

just at a loss though tbh
Original post by zed963
BMAT is a very heavy gamble to take as you do the exams after you submit the application, so if you screw it up, you've basically wasted an option.

I'd recommend focusing on the UKCAT, using things like medify, emedica or even attending one of the courses if you can.

Just apply again next year.

I'd recommend you get feedback from all the universities as there must be something that's not right.

Thanks for yyour reply :smile:

Definitley trying to get feedback atm...and yes guess another year trying for the ukcat
Reply 5
Hi again Ratherpainful!

No worries :smile:

I'm London based too and am in a similar position but without the science background. I'd be very happy if you want to exchange messages about getting to grips with the gamsat, or even meet up.

I'm based in south east london.

I can't tell you how much I think you should go for it!! There isn't a good reason not to maximise your options!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fogalog
Hi again Ratherpainful!

No worries :smile:

I'm London based too and am in a similar position but without the science background. I'd be very happy if you want to exchange messages about getting to grips with the gamsat, or even meet up.

I'm based in south east london.

I can't tell you how much I think you should go for it!! There isn't a good reason not to maximise your options!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be great! Im about to reply to ure inbox asap :smile:)
Reply 7
I was wondering where you have been applying? Are you applying to london courses? Because they tend to be more competitive.
It might be worth looking at your options for casting your net wider.
Best of luck!
Original post by Xxyya
I was wondering where you have been applying? Are you applying to london courses? Because they tend to be more competitive.
It might be worth looking at your options for casting your net wider.
Best of luck!

They have all been out of london- bristol, bham, uea and manc

Just not quite sure what else i can do
Admissions tests are a pain. I would seriously consider a course or something to prepare yourself better if thats the only thing holding you back. Yes they cost a lot but if you get the end result you want then its well worth it.

GAMSAT is really tough and requires a lot of time to be put in for revision and practice, but it does open up more universities and more of a chance to get in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending