The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Anyone studied M208 Pure Mathematics?

I am currently studying MST124 and MST125 and am on track to finish these modules a few months ahead of schedule. Since M208 will be considerably more challenging that the level 1 modules, I want to take the extra time before M208 starts to get ahead, but I don't have the course materials and the OU won't give them to me early. Is there anyone who still has the PDFs of the course materials who wouldn't mind sharing them with me so I can get ahead?
Original post by metonymy3
I am currently studying MST124 and MST125 and am on track to finish these modules a few months ahead of schedule. Since M208 will be considerably more challenging that the level 1 modules, I want to take the extra time before M208 starts to get ahead, but I don't have the course materials and the OU won't give them to me early. Is there anyone who still has the PDFs of the course materials who wouldn't mind sharing them with me so I can get ahead?

I think I may still have them on my harddrive at home and if you PM me your email I can send them on to you this evening? (Currently at work, did check student home but it appears I have now lost access to M208 module website now as it was a few years back I studied it so I can't forward them now). I do think I have them but if I don't I'll let you know.

By the way M208 was one of my favourite modules and I managed to get a distinction in it so I'm sure you will enjoy it too :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
How did you find mst124 and 125 alongside - do you mind me asking if you studied maths at a level?
Reply 3
I didn't go to high school in the UK, so I can't comment on A-levels. My math background was perfectly sufficient for MST124/5 though. MST124 builds things up from a pretty basic level, so unless you are not confident with basic stuff like algebraic manipulation I'd say be brave and go. I thought MST124 and MST125 were perfectly manageable side-by-side. It's not clear from the website, but they are actually designed to be taken together and the deadlines for the assignments are set in such a way that MST125 assignments are not due that require material that has not yet been covered in MST125. The workload was not trivial to manage, but that's not because it was particularly high, more just because I work full time and had difficulty finding time to study.

It's also worth mentioning that even if you find that you can't keep up with both, the OU has a very forgiving "assessment banking" system that lets you withdraw and take the course again in a later period with very little financial penalty.
Reply 4
Original post by metonymy3
I didn't go to high school in the UK, so I can't comment on A-levels. My math background was perfectly sufficient for MST124/5 though. MST124 builds things up from a pretty basic level, so unless you are not confident with basic stuff like algebraic manipulation I'd say be brave and go. I thought MST124 and MST125 were perfectly manageable side-by-side. It's not clear from the website, but they are actually designed to be taken together and the deadlines for the assignments are set in such a way that MST125 assignments are not due that require material that has not yet been covered in MST125. The workload was not trivial to manage, but that's not because it was particularly high, more just because I work full time and had difficulty finding time to study.

It's also worth mentioning that even if you find that you can't keep up with both, the OU has a very forgiving "assessment banking" system that lets you withdraw and take the course again in a later period with very little financial penalty.

Your description of how MST124 and MST125 can be studied side by side is actually exactly what I've been looking for to help me decide what to do in my first year. Thanks, you've actually inspired me with a fair bit of confidence.

Edit:

Quick question. There's a revision unit for MST124 at the start of MST125. If you're taking both at the same time, do you just skip it or does it have TMAs that you have to do anyway or what?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by laalNick
I think I may still have them on my harddrive at home and if you PM me your email I can send them on to you this evening?

Can you email the materials to me also? I have sent you a PM.
Pleeeeze
TIA.
Phi Deaux
Original post by Phi Deaux
Can you email the materials to me also? I have sent you a PM.
Pleeeeze
TIA.
Phi Deaux

I replied. Was going to send this weekend but just found them in sent folder in outlook so trying to forward you them now. Should be 4 emails. (ok the forth one keeps sending a email failure so might have to wait until get home for that)

Don't forget to rep! :smile::tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Much appreciated!
Many thanks,
Phi Deaux
Reply 8
Original post by laalNick
I think I may still have them on my harddrive at home and if you PM me your email I can send them on to you this evening? (Currently at work, did check student home but it appears I have now lost access to M208 module website now as it was a few years back I studied it so I can't forward them now). I do think I have them but if I don't I'll let you know.

By the way M208 was one of my favourite modules and I managed to get a distinction in it so I'm sure you will enjoy it too :smile:

Hi, could i please get a copy too? I really need to get ahead with the materials as I am doing another module too. I have M248, M249, MS221 and MST121 materials if you want any of those!

Thanks
Hi guys !!!! anyone can pass me the pdq version of MST125 , please..

Many thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest