The Student Room Group

Investment analyst

Hi

Been looking into a career in finance recently, and decided I couldn't do investment banking (front office) in the long term. So instead I'm thinking about becoming an investment analyst (as they work less hours (am I right here?). There doesnt seem to be as much info on this as on it.

What I want to know is, how would be the best way to get into being an investment analysis?
Would it be straight out of uni, or after 3 years of being an ib analyst (I reckon I could hack 3 years but not much longer)
What would be the best uni degree to do also, maths and econ or accounting and finance for this job?

Thanks for your time!
Original post by mpaterson
Hi

Been looking into a career in finance recently, and decided I couldn't do investment banking (front office) in the long term. So instead I'm thinking about becoming an investment analyst (as they work less hours (am I right here?). There doesnt seem to be as much info on this as on it.

What I want to know is, how would be the best way to get into being an investment analysis?
Would it be straight out of uni, or after 3 years of being an ib analyst (I reckon I could hack 3 years but not much longer)
What would be the best uni degree to do also, maths and econ or accounting and finance for this job?

Thanks for your time!

Your post isn't entirely clear, when you say Investment Analyst; do you mean you want to work in Equity Research (or anything in research) or in Investment Management? The term you've used could refer to either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Equity research, apologies
Equity research, apologies

You've pretty much answered your own question. Maths/Econ/Finance/Management.. bloody spanish even, whatever you want at a target university, preferably.
You can enter straight out of university. However, the route is very similar to IB.

You should do the following:

1. Aim for a target university doing any degree (relevant is better though) and otherwise make yourself a strong candidate overall in other ways

2. Do a Spring Week somewhere in your first year, this won't necessarily be related to the division you want but Goldman Sachs do a special Research one - regardless you should do it anyway for potential fast-track to summer in the role you want

3. Do a summer internship in Research

4. Land a full-time role in Research

You're right the hours are better in Research however you start much earlier (think 6am) and finish much earlier (think 5/6pm). In Research, you tend to work much longer hours during earnings season so during that period your hours may increase so you'll be working later and potentially weekends. Otherwise it's a standard 50-60 hour week with weekends free. As a result, it's more sustainable so people tend to stay for more than three years and there is plenty of variety available within Research to switch roles etc.

Don't be under the impression it's less competitive though, while Research has less applications, headcount is also a lot less.

Base pay is broadly in line with IBD to start with but bonuses tend to be less. And as you progress, the differential in pay increases.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks for the detailed post! I definitely prefer the sound of it to IB, I much prefer early mornings to late nights.
I don't suppose you know of any year 12 ib or er work experience do you? I've looked around but appears I've missed most of the deadlines by a week or two :frown:
Thanks for the detailed post! I definitely prefer the sound of it to IB, I much prefer early mornings to late nights.
I don't suppose you know of any year 12 ib or er work experience do you? I've looked around but appears I've missed most of the deadlines by a week or two :frown:

Yeah, there are insight programmes. Failing that, I'd show some initiative and reach out to smaller firms that do Research and see what they can do for you - ask if you can do some shadowing perhaps. It's usually better to reach out to people on LinkedIn though, wouldn't recommend emailing the generic addresses on the website, it won't get you anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I would imagine for research, compared to IBD, there would be more of a preference towards quantitative degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending