The Student Room Group

Are these A-level subjects okay for a Biology major?

For my A-levels I'm planning to take Biology, Geography and History (with Sociology at AS).

Many unis accept Geography as a science but I'm wondering if my chances of getting in are smaller because I don't have another science like Chemistry.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get more responses. :redface: Hopefully someone will be able to get back to you :h:
i think if you're planning on applying to very prestigious universities then it may harm your chances, as they'll have students studying chemistry and maths and doing well up against you who will look better. however, as long as you get good grades in all of them i don't believe it should stop you from going to a good uni - a girl i dance with got AABD at as level and applied to unis to do bio and got 5 offers back !!!! and the D was in biology... so don't worry too much, unless you're planning on going to oxbridge.
You'd be much better off taking chemistry than geography/history. It will help at A-level and beyond and will improve your chances with university offers. Maths isn't very relevant for biology so wouldn't matter as much.
Original post by Gott
Be warned of you are taking Chemistry, it is the hardest subject, apart from maths and further maths and additional further maths (and additional further death extra hard maths probably). Think of it as a combination of maths and Biology; perhaps you should look at the textbooks and past papers first

Additional further extra hard death maths is the same as additional further maths.
They are just different words for the same thing.
You should be okay if the universities accept Geography as another science. My second science for Biology courses was Maths, and I still recieved offers, so you shouldn't worry about not having Chemistry specifically.
Original post by faggstagram
i think if you're planning on applying to very prestigious universities then it may harm your chances, as they'll have students studying chemistry and maths and doing well up against you who will look better. however, as long as you get good grades in all of them i don't believe it should stop you from going to a good uni - a girl i dance with got AABD at as level and applied to unis to do bio and got 5 offers back !!!! and the D was in biology... so don't worry too much, unless you're planning on going to oxbridge.

oops, also forgot to say all she took was biology history English language and psychology

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest