The Student Room Group

should I take bio a level after dropping an a level as a humanities student?

I'm currently doing 2 a levels, History and Sociology after dropping my third A Level Politics. I'm also retaking gcse maths along with this as I got a 3 last year. I completely suck at like anything mathematical, but I might decide to ask if I can ask to take up a level Biology. I doubt they would let me as I got a 4:3 in combined science GCSE, but to be fair I had cover teachers the entire year because my normal teacher caught cancer so I was forced to completely teach everything myself, I'm also probably autistic and got major overstimulation in the exam halls which they never sorted out and never put me in a separate room, so yeah that was all fun. Anyway I had always loved Biology in secondary its just a shame the circumstances I was put in. I guess the real question is that should I ask or not? Is there any chance I could be up for it? I would be spending my entire 3rd year on it, so my chances of getting a good grade compared to taking it next to 2 other subjects is higher. I'm also doing a lot better academically in college than in secondary, my highest gcse being a 5 and right now I'm getting Cs-Bs in History & Bs-As in Sociology. Also for university I'm thinking maybe doing Archaeology, but if Biology goes alright maybe Zoology or something.
So yeah, based on what I have said and maybe for anyone that's taking a level Biology now, is there any chance I'd be ready for it? And if not based on what I'm doing and where I want to be what other a levels should I consider?
Original post by Erinlouhicks
I'm currently doing 2 a levels, History and Sociology after dropping my third A Level Politics. I'm also retaking gcse maths along with this as I got a 3 last year. I completely suck at like anything mathematical, but I might decide to ask if I can ask to take up a level Biology. I doubt they would let me as I got a 4:3 in combined science GCSE, but to be fair I had cover teachers the entire year because my normal teacher caught cancer so I was forced to completely teach everything myself, I'm also probably autistic and got major overstimulation in the exam halls which they never sorted out and never put me in a separate room, so yeah that was all fun. Anyway I had always loved Biology in secondary its just a shame the circumstances I was put in. I guess the real question is that should I ask or not? Is there any chance I could be up for it? I would be spending my entire 3rd year on it, so my chances of getting a good grade compared to taking it next to 2 other subjects is higher. I'm also doing a lot better academically in college than in secondary, my highest gcse being a 5 and right now I'm getting Cs-Bs in History & Bs-As in Sociology. Also for university I'm thinking maybe doing Archaeology, but if Biology goes alright maybe Zoology or something.
So yeah, based on what I have said and maybe for anyone that's taking a level Biology now, is there any chance I'd be ready for it? And if not based on what I'm doing and where I want to be what other a levels should I consider?

Well, you generally need 3 A-levels to get into university unless you take a foundation year. When are you saying that you would take this third A-level?

As to the subject, what was it about politics that didn't work, given that you're doing better in two relatively similar subjects?

And is your college aware of your ADHD and agreed to make the necessary accommodations?
Reply 2
Hi, Basically how I'm doing this is I'm continuing 2 of my a levels that I'll finish next year, but whatever I pick before September will carry on into another year so when I apply to uni in a few years time I'll have 2 a levels and 1 predicted. Basically I'm just doing 3 years at college instead of 2.
Politics was just mostly an ass teacher I really struggled to learn from, also I hated that what was needed to be learnt wasn't like 'in place' if that makes sense? Like what you'd need to learn for the essays wasn't always in a textbook or would be very hard to find online as what comes into what you need to learn for the course is done in real time as well as hundreds of years ago. Also I hated the amount of random statistics that needed to be learnt. Basically it just wasn't organised enough.
Also they've agreed to make accommodations for me, I have extra time this time around and get to be put in a separate room.
Hi, Basically how I'm doing this is I'm continuing 2 of my a levels that I'll finish next year, but whatever I pick before September will carry on into another year so when I apply to uni in a few years time I'll have 2 a levels and 1 predicted. Basically I'm just doing 3 years at college instead of 2.
Politics was just mostly an ass teacher I really struggled to learn from, also I hated that what was needed to be learnt wasn't like 'in place' if that makes sense? Like what you'd need to learn for the essays wasn't always in a textbook or would be very hard to find online as what comes into what you need to learn for the course is done in real time as well as hundreds of years ago. Also I hated the amount of random statistics that needed to be learnt. Basically it just wasn't organised enough.
Also they've agreed to make accommodations for me, I have extra time this time around and get to be put in a separate room.

Ok, I understand now... Shame about the teacher... Good that they have accommodated you.

Given the above, I'm not sure what I can add regarding your third subject. You appear to be improving, which is good. Have you checked university entrance requirements for subjects such as zoology and archaeology?
Reply 4
Hellllo. I do A-level Biology right now and I also mentor and teach younger years as I'm a bio prefect. One thing I will always say is that Bio isn't for the weak. Just because you like it, doesn't mean your good at it. i'm very sorry if I sound harsh but myself and the biology teachers always speak about how there is a pre-conceived idea that A-level biology is easy. IT IS NOT. There are students who get a 6 at GCSE and still take the a-level because they "enjoyed" it at gcse, then are shocked when they get a B/C on results day. Biology is one of the most content-heavy subjects and requires dedication and thorough knowledge of processes, terminology etc....my advice to you is to find an easier subject. Judging by the fact that you've just dropped an essay subject maybe business can be an alternative.

However if you still have ur. kind set on bio, I suggest you look at the specification and do some reading around the subject.

Good luck.
Reply 5
Original post by halfharry
Hellllo. I do A-level Biology right now and I also mentor and teach younger years as I'm a bio prefect. One thing I will always say is that Bio isn't for the weak. Just because you like it, doesn't mean your good at it. i'm very sorry if I sound harsh but myself and the biology teachers always speak about how there is a pre-conceived idea that A-level biology is easy. IT IS NOT. There are students who get a 6 at GCSE and still take the a-level because they "enjoyed" it at gcse, then are shocked when they get a B/C on results day. Biology is one of the most content-heavy subjects and requires dedication and thorough knowledge of processes, terminology etc....my advice to you is to find an easier subject. Judging by the fact that you've just dropped an essay subject maybe business can be an alternative.

However if you still have ur. kind set on bio, I suggest you look at the specification and do some reading around the subject.

Good luck.
Okay thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest