The Student Room Group

what is university life like?

I have applied for university and received 4 offers so far. I really want to go uni but I'm worried what its going to be like. Could anyone help me out and tell me their experiences.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well its different depending on your circumstances.

I'm a first year at my hometown university, still living at home.

At first excited, but I don't think I really prepared enough for the work last semester.

Traveling an hour into town and an hour back everyday was not easy, and I started to wonder whether I'd made a big mistake by not moving in to halls. I would get so tired, and always feel tired in lectures. And I felt stressed at times because I felt like the work just kept coming, and coming. I also had a job for the first half of semester which I would definitely not advise.

This semester, I'm used to it all. So I'm much better at planning my time, getting work done, handling everything. So I'm enjoying university more. I'm still aiming to make more friends from uni as opposed to going out with people I've known here for years; I'll probably join some societies or get back to sports. Overall its a much better way of life than school. :smile:
turn up to accommodation, unpack stuff, meet the neighbours if they're there already, if not you get first dibs on cupboards.
go to fresher's events, make friends, get wasted if you drink, go to socials and non alcoholic events if you don't.
spend one or two days getting bearings, locations for key stuff, a domino's pizza menu with their local phone number. Buying essentials and food, sign up to seminars, make sure you're all prepared for lectures.
Turn up to lectures 10-15 minute early to be safe, listen, take notes, find friends to sit next to / work with, get phone numbers etc.
go away, study a little, waste the rest of the evening on netflix, go out with friends to dinner etc.
on wednesday evenings go to sports clubs that you play or try out new experiences, wednesday night go out for socials, drinks or clubbing, messy predrinks included.
go to lectures and seminars for the remainder of your week.
cleaning I find is done on saturdays - bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, clothes etc. Go out saturday night if people want to, if not stay in and relax / do any work / revision for about an hour.
sunday start working on assignments, finish them if preferred or leave them as a draft. Make sure you're prepared for monday whilst curing yourself of the saturday hangover.
Continue until exams.
Original post by georgiachurchill
I have applied for university and received 4 offers so far. I really want to go uni but I'm worried what its going to be like. Could anyone help me out and tell me their experiences.

Best time of my life.

It's hard, and very different to living at home and going to school, but if you embrace the difficulties of making friends, new relationships, looking after yourself (washing, cleaning, cooking) and self-motivation to actually achieve something, you will come out the other end a much better person :h: . The best thing about University is how accepting everybody is. At school there's a lot of social and peer pressure. At University, you do what you want (and don't do things you don't want), for whatever reason you want, when you want.

I entered University without much of a social life or CV, went and made my own (non-drinking, just in case freshers and the alcohol culture is what you're worried about) friends, got a job alongside my degree, joined several societies, got subject-relevant work experience, started a new relationship, learned to cook, learnt to do the washing, suffered a lack of money and spent far too long in the library. The life experience I've gained is absolutely incredible. If I could, I'd do the last 3 years all over again :moon:
Original post by Nirgilis
Best time of my life.

It's hard, and very different to living at home and going to school, but if you embrace the difficulties of making friends, new relationships, looking after yourself (washing, cleaning, cooking) and self-motivation to actually achieve something, you will come out the other end a much better person :h: . The best thing about University is how accepting everybody is. At school there's a lot of social and peer pressure. At University, you do what you want (and don't do things you don't want), for whatever reason you want, when you want.

I entered University without much of a social life or CV, went and made my own (non-drinking, just in case freshers and the alcohol culture is what you're worried about) friends, got a job alongside my degree, joined several societies, got subject-relevant work experience, started a new relationship, learned to cook, learnt to do the washing, suffered a lack of money and spent far too long in the library. The life experience I've gained is absolutely incredible. If I could, I'd do the last 3 years all over again :moon:

Which uni did you go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by realcloud
Which uni did you go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The University of Warwick :yep:
Its great so far, on the 2nd term of my first year and its amazing. My course is good, a lot of work, but amazing. I have joined some societies and everyone is so friendly, it helps as you have common interests with them. You have to look after yourself, do the work. You have to do a lot of work, but there is a lot of time for having fun as well.

It can seem daunting, but at uni you can be yourself, there are so many differant people here that you are bound to have common interests.

There is a large drinking culture at uni, but if you want to, then cool, if not there are many other people who don't. I'm a non-drinker and all my flatmates do and go out, but I stay in and chill by myself, which works.

Everyone in the first year will be in the same boat, not knowing anyone, many living away from home for the first time, having to look after yourself. Everyone will want to make friends. Uni is really what you make it.
So far its abit crap in all honesty. Ive had some good times but other than that meh. Ive made alot of aquaintances but just one friend lol
Original post by prettyGirl101
So far its abit crap in all honesty. Ive had some good times but other than that meh. Ive made alot of aquaintances but just one friend lol

Which uni are you at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by realcloud
Which uni are you at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

a russell group uni close to central london
Parties
Sex
Drugs
Sports

And 90% work deadlines/exams.

You're most likely at QMUL, I know plenty who have had a **** time there
Original post by bittr n swt

lol what did they say about it?

Social life is **** and it's hard to make friends.
This thread has definitely given me more confidence about going to uni in September, I'm a bit scared of going to uni and living with my head in a book with the hope to pass each module

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congratulations on your offers! University is very tiring, especially if you are working, volunteering or if you have family commitments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Social life is **** and it's hard to make friends.

true lol. do u know anything about roehampton uni?

I would say QM was also a bad experience for myself......and I met a lot of people, etc but still had a bad time in the social aspect and from an education point of view.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Iqbal007
I would agree with that to be fair......and I met a lot of people, etc

you agree that its ****?
you agree that its ****?

Not like that, I reworded above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending