The Student Room Group

What uni should I choose (physics)

Hi year 12 here, I’ve recently made the decision that I want to stay local (north west) for my uni. That has left me with 3 choices Liverpool, Lancaster and Leeds. I want to study physics or mechanical engineering. I loved Lancaster when I visited and had friends tell me good things but after reading others posts it has given me doubts. I’m not big on the night life and at the moment I would like to end up as an academic/researcher. Only other factor is I could live at home with liverpool. I liked all unis if anyone got any advice it would be appreciated, thanks!
Original post by EtagPhysics
Hi year 12 here, I’ve recently made the decision that I want to stay local (north west) for my uni. That has left me with 3 choices Liverpool, Lancaster and Leeds. I want to study physics or mechanical engineering. I loved Lancaster when I visited and had friends tell me good things but after reading others posts it has given me doubts. I’m not big on the night life and at the moment I would like to end up as an academic/researcher. Only other factor is I could live at home with liverpool. I liked all unis if anyone got any advice it would be appreciated, thanks!

Night life is sort of the defining feature of youth. Some universities have more of a fame for being party unis than others, but I'd say that this is a bit unfair, because every university, and I truly mean every single university, has an element of night life and partying. And you know, you don't have to like night life to like the university: you don't have to be in that bit of the uni's social life and you can do the other fun social things happening. And even then, being involved in uni night life doesn't mean you won't be an academic or researcher! So don't be so quick to write off Lancaster.

Liverpool you say you could stay at home. I personally view this as a negative. Plenty of people will disagree with me, but the experience you get living in student accommodation without your family is much different than the one you'd get living at home. I think moving out gives you more freedom and really helps you develop as your own person and an adult, and it makes you more likely to encounter some of the hilarious and crazy stuff that happens on uni campuses and accommodation (some seriously funny stuff has happened in my time at uni, which I wouldn't miss for the world!). Note though that you can get student accommodation in Liverpool anyway, even if you live there. I have a similar situation going on with my family in London.

Those are my two cents anyway. You've still got loads of time to think about it. And of course, you can apply to all three and see what happens :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending