The Student Room Group

Non-smokers, is smoking a dealbreaker to you?

Scroll to see replies

Total deal breaker for me. Even if I wasn't asthmatic the smell is just revolting and even if it isn't on their breath, with most smokers I know their clothes still reek. I can be friends with a smoker just fine and hang out with them every once in a while but anything more would just be painful for me
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a girl and a light smoker (around 4-7 a day). I'm actually quite fit, I don't smell like an ashtray and always chew a gum after smoking as I don't like the aftertaste anyway. Would this be a dealbreaker to a lot of people? In other words, would you reject a smoker just due to the fact that they enjoy the occasional fag?

P.S.: Even I probably wouldn't date someone who smoked like 2-3 packs a day, that's freaking insane. I'm talking about a light/reasonable smoking habit here.

That's not light for me.
Reply 42
How can a smoking habit be...reasonable?????
I'm fairly sure it would be a deal breaker, yes. Though I suppose if the person was absolutely amazing then maybe.
Reply 44
I really dislike everything about smoking, so yes.

Original post by Andinet
I strongly dislike smoking, but to say it is a deal breaker is shallow and short sighted.

That's a very opinionated statement tbh. It's not your place to decide what other people's opinions should and should not be. :rolleyes:
Reply 45
I think to smoke now is disrespectful to your children and grandchildren in the future since we are surrounded by a deluge of anti-smoking advertising campaigns and health warnings. Since both my grandparents died before I was born from smoking-related cancers (I don't consider them disrespectful since people then were naive to the dangers), I'm very anti-smoking myself. This year I have had the displeasure of having classes with a smoker at school and they constantly smell of either smoke or this (even worse) mixture of minty chewing gum freshness and cigarette smoke while is truly sickening to breathe in.

It's a dealbreaker. It shows a lack of respect for your future children and your own body. How anyone can find this tolerable is beyond me, but I do appreciate that people have differing opinions. However, it truly is a disgusting habit.
(edited 9 years ago)
I hate smoking so yeah
No my ex smoked and it didn't bother me, I hate smoking and would never do it myself though!
Most of the people judging smokers eat unhealthily, don't exercise, drink a lot etc. STOP BEING HYPOCRITES.

Yes I would date a smoker. It does not make you a bad person.
Reply 49
Original post by Andinet
When was I deciding other people's opinions? :confused: Did I leave some underlying statement in there that says everyone should think this?

Yeah, right. If I must justify this:

1. Your original statement, " to say it is a deal breaker is shallow and short sighted." quite clearly refers to the general case since, if you were talking about yourself only, you wouldn't have phrased it like that.

2. You then replied to another poster saying:

Original post by Andinet
I wasn't referring to the smoking part itself the reason for being short sighted - if you immediately reject someone just because of one factor, that IS short sighted.

Again, clearly not referring to only yourself.

3. You then replied again to same poster, making your most sweeping statement of all:

Original post by Andinet
you obviously have a massive personal problem with smokers.Despite this, are you saying even if they stopped smoking you still would reject them on that one factor?

Sorry, but I don't remember when not wanting to go out with a smoker equated to having a massive personal problem with them.

So there is the answer to your question. Sorry to sound catty but the next time you want to make generalisations and judgements about people at least have the guts to stick with it and back it up.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Andinet
My point still stands, you obviously have a massive personal problem with smokers.

Despite this, are you saying even if they stopped smoking you still would reject them on that one factor?

Yes I do have a problem with smokers, got a problem with that?

Depends, if they weren't a serious smoker like the OP and they quit I wouldn't reject them. However if it was a serious smoker who quit probably not as they're likely to start again.
I'd date someone who smokes but I'd be forward in telling them 'no' if they wanted a kiss after they've been smoking. I don't like the taste.
Reply 52
Not at all. I find smoking to be attractive tbh:cool:
Total deal breaker. I just don't see why people want to pay to slowly kill themselves, and all the stuff that comes with it just isn't worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not a deal-breaker, certainly not a positive - but I guess I can't even smell smoke or anything though, having grown up in a house with two 30-a-day smokers and all of my family members smoking. Would probably try and convince them to quit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Smoking is a deal breaker for me, you'd have to be something pretty special for me to look past it.
Very little is a total deal-breaker in and of itself.

But smoking any amount of cigarettes is probably as unattractive as being obese to me. Horrible. Shows a real lack of self-control, wisdom or care about oneself.
My husband was a smoker. I made it clear when he asked me out that I didn't want to date a smoker. It was ultimately up to him what he chose to do, but he promised me he was going to quit, and he did.

We started dating 14th July 2001, and started cutting down, until he smoked his last one just before midnight on New Year's eve that same year. Hasn't smoked since.
yeah but i can compromise if they promise to cutdown...
I'm with what appears to the consensus here which is, if you smoke under say 5 or so a day then it isn't a deal breaker.

I have a family history of cancer and my Dad (the only member who smokes, well did anyway) got lung cancer 9 months ago. Fortunately he survived but it is pure stupidity to get to that stage.

Smoking outside a club or when drinking is fine but I wouldn't want her to smoke around me when I'm sober. Not in my house, not in my air etc.

I totally agree however with the poster who said it's basically the same as being obese/ no exercise/ really bad diet/ alcoholism / major drug addiction etc.

I'm fairly confident out of all the people who have said it's a 'deal breaker and that it's abhorrent that someone would knowingly damage their body', some of you will be overweight... I'm not 'shaming' you but that would mean your comments are hypocritical.

58% of adults in the UK drink at least once a week. Alcohol is poison and it is a drug...

Personally, i hate smoking more than some moderate (even frequent) drug use - coke etc. However, I know that is irrational and it's just due to my fear of cancer etc.

I care far more about a persons well being/persona than personal traits addictions. If they brighten my day and we had a laugh and an active life with stuff going in somedays then I'd be happy. As long as they don't NEED drugs (alcohol, smoking and illegal drugs) to have a good time then that's fine. A bit of extra enjoyment on a Friday/Saturday night (or occasional smoking through the day) is not a huge problem in the grand scheme of things.....

Compared to: compulsive liar, gambler, unfaithful, selfish etc etc
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending