The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Mathematics undergraduate low satisfaction?

I have received an offer from Bristol to study mathematics and was planning to firm it. However, I was researching satisfaction rates of the course from UniStats which informed me that maths at bristol was rated 68%, a very low score compared to the other universities I have applied to. So, my question to any current maths undergrads at bristol is: 1) How is the course at Bristol? 2) Why do you think the satisfaction rates are so low, is there anything in particular that has caused this?

Thank you in advance
Reply 1
Original post by taleri
I have received an offer from Bristol to study mathematics and was planning to firm it. However, I was researching satisfaction rates of the course from UniStats which informed me that maths at bristol was rated 68%, a very low score compared to the other universities I have applied to. So, my question to any current maths undergrads at bristol is: 1) How is the course at Bristol? 2) Why do you think the satisfaction rates are so low, is there anything in particular that has caused this?

Thank you in advance

Considering that I haven't been to another uni, I'm not a very good source. Regardless, I think student satisfaction is a result of the distance we feel from the lecturers, at least as compared to other unis (and how maybe sometimes it feels like you could learn this stuff faster on your own).
BUT! All lecturers (in my experience) are eager and happy to help you, should you ask them, tutors are all very good teachers, and the student life is saweet.
Basically, the 'student satisfaction' section for Bristol is extremely subjective - if you can handle yourself, its bull, but if you can't, maybe try a campus uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Student Satisfaction stats are pretty much hopeless for deciding whether of not to do a particular Uni course.

1) There are by definition at least a year out of date - and reflect the course that those who graduated LAST YEAR undertook.

2) A course cohort of of only 25 or 40 students can be skewed really easily be a small group of disgruntled students giving everything zero.

3) Often students mark a course down for reasons that have nothing to do with the course (ie. 'they moved our lockers to the basement' or all the lectures were at 9am).

4) Reasons that a course was unpopular even last year (unit choice, a star tutor going on maternity leave mid-year etc) will not repeated in your year/course.

5) Does what someone else thought about the course 2 or 3 years back tell you if you will enjoy that course? Nope.

Guide to making Firm & Insurance choices has lots of useful advice worth thinking about : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending