The Student Room Group

UCL Impossible Conditional Offer

Hello!

I recently received a conditional offer from UCL for Smart energy and the built environment MSc. The offer was conditional upon my final undergraduate grades.

I am not from the uk and my university’s grade scale is A+, A,B,C or fail. The condition of the the offer was to graduate with grade A or above for at least 50% of my credits. Currently only 37% of my credits are A or above and I am in my final semester! Even if I get A for all remaining credits it will only go up to 40%.

So basically it’s mathematically impossible to meet the condition.

I am confuse as to what to do now. I am planning to send the enquiry form to the admissions office and ask them to reconsider the condition but do I have a better chance if I do it right now?

I have some points that could help explain why my grade is a bit low,
1. I lost my immediate family member during finals season last year,
2.my uni has a rule that only 30% of the class can get grade A or above which makes it hard to get many As.
I was thinking of asking the dean of my department to write a letter about this. But this will take a bit of time, so I’m not sure if I should ask them to reconsider the condition right now based on the fact that it’s impossible to meet or, wait a little bit and send everything including my explanations for low grades in one go.

Can I get any advice on what to do to increase my chances of getting in? This program is my top choice and I really want to get in.

Thanks in advance!!

(P.s. the entry requirement for the MSc is 2:1 for uk uni graduates!)
Personally I would email them now to explain the above. You can offer to provide the letter from your dean later if needed.

It may be that this is just their standard 2:1 equivalent offer and that they haven't realised that you cant actually meet it, so it needs clarifying whether they want to accept you slightly below this before you make any plans about accepting it
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Personally I would email them now to explain the above. You can offer to provide the letter from your dean later if needed.

It may be that this is just their standard 2:1 equivalent offer and that they haven't realised that you cant actually meet it, so it needs clarifying whether they want to accept you slightly below this before you make any plans about accepting it

Thank you for your advice!
Do you mean I should explain now the loss of a family member and the uni rule as well as the fact that the condition is mathematically impossible?
Original post by al812
Thank you for your advice!
Do you mean I should explain now the loss of a family member and the uni rule as well as the fact that the condition is mathematically impossible?

Yes, both. Detail how many credits you have remaining and perhaps how close you might reasonably get to the current offer.

You can then give a bit of context as to your circumstances which affected your grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending