The Student Room Group

roundabout - would this have been my fault.

an accident didnt happen but I was wondering if it did happen as it easily could have, would I have been to blame?

a round about with two exits and two lanes. Arrows showing which lane you should be on for each exit. I was on the second exit lane. And another car was on my left. I was about to turn left for my exit and noticed in the mirror the car in the left hand lane was about to turn at the same exit.
If i turned left without checking I surely would of hit him.
Would this have been my fault if I didnt check my mirrors or his/hers for being in the wrong lane.

I only passed my test a week ago so it bothering me how easily an accident like this could happen.
(edited 9 years ago)
It legally would've been their fault for being in the wrong lane to exit the roundabout. However realistically you should be checking your mirrors anyway (as you've said you did) to be aware of idiots on the road, so kudos to you for preventing an accident just a week after passing. Congrats on the pass and just remember there's always reckless drivers on the road.
Reply 2
I suspect something like this would be judged 50/50, as although the other driver should not have been in the lane, it would still be your maneuver that caused the accident. Since you were both on the roundabout already you'd both have equal priority, even though the other driver wasn't positioned correctly.

Quite a lot of these disputes come down to who shouts the loudest though, or whose insurer is the most aggravating. It's aways best to assume (as you did) that it's possible for someone to do something very stupid and ruin your day, at any point during your journey. Even a no-fault claim can raise your premium, and courtesy cars are always crap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending