The Student Room Group

Practical Driving test tips and advice

I have my practical driving test coming up soon, is there any tips and tricks if there are any , so I don't fail miserably?
I keep on making silly mistakes and then getting frustrated .
Most things are fine I need help cleaning things up in some departments.
Original post by isa04
I have my practical driving test coming up soon, is there any tips and tricks if there are any , so I don't fail miserably?

Firstly, Good Luck

So I passed my test in November 2022 with 2 minors. My advice would be that you should not overthink situations. For example, when coming up towards a busy junction/roundabout do not think of bad situations in your head, concentrate on what you are doing in the present moment. Also if you made a mistake, dont panic or overthink it as it might have only been a minor. How you react to certain situations is the difference to failing and passing. So if you did make a small error, forget about it and move on. Also if you feel that your test went well and are on your way back to the test center, remain concentrated. This sounds obvious but so many people fail their test in the last 5 mins of the test, or even outside the test center. Another thing to note is that your examiner might be tapping their tablet. This does not mean you have made a mistake so dont panic and feel like you have failed if they tap their tablet. Its their marking sheet.

Dont forget you can ask the examiner to repeat and instruction again and if you are not sure which way youre going ASK, especially if you get the following road signs in the indepenant driving section. If you find yourself in the wrong lane at a junction/roundabout, its better to go the wrong way. You wont get failed for this. Unless its a oneway road or something.
Reply 2
Original post by AvfcWalpole7
Firstly, Good Luck

So I passed my test in November 2022 with 2 minors. My advice would be that you should not overthink situations. For example, when coming up towards a busy junction/roundabout do not think of bad situations in your head, concentrate on what you are doing in the present moment. Also if you made a mistake, dont panic or overthink it as it might have only been a minor. How you react to certain situations is the difference to failing and passing. So if you did make a small error, forget about it and move on. Also if you feel that your test went well and are on your way back to the test center, remain concentrated. This sounds obvious but so many people fail their test in the last 5 mins of the test, or even outside the test center. Another thing to note is that your examiner might be tapping their tablet. This does not mean you have made a mistake so dont panic and feel like you have failed if they tap their tablet. Its their marking sheet.

Dont forget you can ask the examiner to repeat and instruction again and if you are not sure which way youre going ASK, especially if you get the following road signs in the indepenant driving section. If you find yourself in the wrong lane at a junction/roundabout, its better to go the wrong way. You wont get failed for this. Unless its a oneway road or something.

Thanks I actually just passed this morning
Original post by isa04

Oh Well Congrats then!
Reply 4
Original post by AvfcWalpole7
Oh Well Congrats then!

thank you much appreciated.
Reply 5
Original post by isa04

Original post by isa04

Congratulations on passing!
Reply 6
Original post by ludurkris
Congratulations on passing!

thanks a bit late tho
Reply 7
Never too late to congratulate someone :biggrin:.... hope it's been going well since you passed!
Original post by isa04
thanks a bit late tho
Reply 8
Original post by ludurkris
Never too late to congratulate someone :biggrin:.... hope it's been going well since you passed!

Its been ok just trying to find cheap insurance which is the next issue at hand
Original post by isa04
Its been ok just trying to find cheap insurance which is the next issue at hand

Haha same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending