The Student Room Group

What do you usually have for dinner? (students ONLY!)

Hey, guys :smile:

I'm in my first year of university and this semester I'm starting completely anew and cooking my own meals (I used to buy mainly pizzas and chicken burgers every other week last semester). It's going to be quite hard not to yield to temptations given that I live next to hundreds of fast-food restaurants. Lots of them have been emerging around the area lately...
Anyhow, I can say that so far, I've been eating healthily and having rice, vegetables and pasta but I sometimes can't come up with new ideas (the struggle is real, mate :biggrin:). I was wondering what were some other cheap and quick student meal recipes you would recommend? It has to be simple as I don't want anything too complicated and time-consuming. I'm not asking for a Michelin-star dish but just a small, yummy student meal.

I'm not a vegetarian nor have any religion restrictions on food (I'm not obese either!), so I can practically eat ANYTHING! :smile:

Oh, and I love everything, from cauliflowers to mushrooms.

Ideas? Fire away.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anything edible. I've eaten the weirdest combinations of food since being at uni :rolleyes:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Lately..

Right, and why would you choose to eat confectionary snacks, over something more palatable and filling.:confused:

Surely you would get an upset stomach from all that.:yucky:
Reply 3
Original post by Monkey.Slayer
]Lately..

Right, and why would you choose to eat confectionary snacks, over something more palatable and filling.:confused:

Surely you would get an upset stomach from all that.:yucky:

May I ask what you usually cook for dinner? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Anything edible. I've eaten the weirdest combinations of food since being at uni :rolleyes:

Thank you for your reply! I guess anything edible will be fine indeed :smile:
Original post by Dr. Oxford
May I know what you usually cook for dinner? :smile:

My home is a stones throw away from my Uni, so I usually visit my Mum for some home cooked food.:tongue:
Reply 6
My home is a stones throw away from my Uni, so I usually visit my Mum for some home cooked food.:tongue:

Well, fair enough. I would probably do the same if I lived close to home. :smile:
Original post by Dr. Oxford
Well, fair enough. I would probably do the same if I lived close to home. :smile:

True, plus her food fills me up, whereas junk food usually leaves me on the toilet seat for a good 2 hours.:tongue:
Usually just pasta or rice with some kind of sauce and chicken. If I'm feeling lazy I'll just throw some oven chips in with something like chicken nuggets, turkey dinosaurs, maybe a frozen pizza once in a while.
Reply 9
True, plus her food fills me up, whereas junk food usually leaves me on the toilet seat for a good 2 hours.:tongue:

It's also less time-consuming! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by orange crush
Usually just pasta or rice with some kind of sauce and chicken. If I'm feeling lazy I'll just throw some oven chips in with something like chicken nuggets, turkey dinosaurs, maybe a frozen pizza once in a while.

Thank you for your reply. :smile: I've been having roughly the same food recently so am glad to know this is what most students also have for dinner.
(edited 9 years ago)
pizza
grilled sausages / frozen cod, chicken things + potato wedges + veg
pasta
beef burgers
all the stuff inside a cottage pie, but not actually being cottage pie.
I also made a poutine but with basic ingredients - was still nice.
Hmmmm...

Pasta Bake, Omlette, Special/Egg/Chicken Fried Rice, Tortilla Wraps, Noodles, Risotto ... good thing with these is that you can put practically anything you want in them.
Jacket Potato, Macaroni Cheese, Cheese on Toast...

x
Reply 13
Pasta-Bolognese sauce-Gruyère-Parmesan.

:tongue:
an easy thing to make- wrap a chicken breast, onion and peppers with seasoning/sauce in tin foil, cook at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes and have it with rice/potatoes.
also quite often have pasta with different sauces,
I try to avoid frozen food/junk food most of the time but eat it like once a week. I do buy a few ready meals too for emergencies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Josb
Pasta-Bolognese sauce-Gruyère-Parmesan.

:tongue:

I'm not a big fan of cheese but thank you! It looks tasty as hell. :smile:
Lentils! I always have at least some lentils in my food lol and sometimes for a treat I will make a lasagna with lamb mince :smile: lamb is quite expensive but if you buy it in bulk and freeze it it works out cheaper in the long run. Mackerel pasta with crème fraiche, chicken wrapped in parma ham and stuffed with mozarella cheese... Mmmm!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Foo.mp3
Lately..

Spoiler

Mmh, all that sugar intake... No, thanks! I would rather avoid getting diabetes. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Cook in bulk.

Cawl is good. I get about 9/10 servings of cawl every time I do it. Curry as well.

I'm with you on the cheese/pasta thing. Same goes for omelettes. Absolute wrong'uns putting cheese in omelettes. Speaking of omelettes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvlkYYdIBV0

I use about 8/9 eggs for this and 5/6 potatoes and get a few meals out of it. This is dirt cheap and tastes amazing. When it's cooked can just put in fridge, take it to uni, work etc.
I usually have things like chilli con carne, spagbol and other forms of pasta, jacket potatoes, moussaka, wedges, toad in the hole, soup, breaded chicken, egg fried rice, sushi etc. I prepare all of them rather than buying any preprepared foodstuffs and it doesn't take that long (especially considering some things can be made in bulk and frozen).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending