The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Is it true what they say about Durham?

Hi

I've looked at what people have said about Durham and it's horrible reputation for classism... but I've not seen anything recent. So, what I'm looking for is a conclusive answer. "Is Durham full of rich oxford drop outs who will treat me like dirt because I'm from a working class background?".

Going to UNI has been a very long time coming for me. It's involved A LOT of hard work and determination and the last thing I want is to have my firm choice be one that directly contradicts my expectations.

Thanks for any and all replies. I'd prefer if only recent or current students could answer as, from what I've read, the running of the university has changed quite a bit in recent years.

Thanks
Original post by DDyhh4
Hi

I've looked at what people have said about Durham and it's horrible reputation for classism... but I've not seen anything recent. So, what I'm looking for is a conclusive answer. "Is Durham full of rich oxford drop outs who will treat me like dirt because I'm from a working class background?".

Going to UNI has been a very long time coming for me. It's involved A LOT of hard work and determination and the last thing I want is to have my firm choice be one that directly contradicts my expectations.

Thanks for any and all replies. I'd prefer if only recent or current students could answer as, from what I've read, the running of the university has changed quite a bit in recent years.

Thanks
hey, im a 2nd year durham uni student and although there are a lot of poshos, you'll also not struggle to find people from a similar background to you. i also worried about this but everyone in my friend group went to a state school and is either working class or is quite down to earth for being more well off. LOL.

i personally havent experienced any discrimination. if you count a run in with a drunk guy who couldn't seem to conceive of my north eastern accent and got all in my face then maybe yes lol (it was funny tbf) but other than that its been great and ive never felt out of place. the uni itself is quite helpful with financial difficulties and my college is good (grey college) in regards to being inclusive of people from different backgrounds.

if you have any more questions feel free to ask :-)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by angrydog32
hey, im a 2nd year durham uni student and although there are a lot of poshos, you'll also not struggle to find people from a similar background to you. i also worried about this but everyone in my friend group went to a state school and is either working class or is quite down to earth for being more well off. LOL.

i personally havent experienced any discrimination. if you count a run in with a drunk guy who couldn't seem to conceive of my north eastern accent and got all in my face then maybe yes lol (it was funny tbf) but other than that its been great and ive never felt out of place. the uni itself is quite helpful with financial difficulties and my college is good (grey college) in regards to being inclusive of people from different backgrounds.

if you have any more questions feel free to ask :-)
Thanks so much for you reply

In regards to the college system, how likely is it that I'll get my first choice? I selected all the colleges that were self catering and without formal dinners.

Also, what is the night life like? What do you tend to do on a Friday night?

Thanks again
Have you visited?

If you have concerns like this it's absolutely vital to visit in person to get a "feel" for a place
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Have you visited?

If you have concerns like this it's absolutely vital to visit in person to get a "feel" for a place
I haven't unfortunately as I haven't got the fund to travel to Durham.

Thanks for the reply
Original post by DDyhh4
I haven't unfortunately as I haven't got the fund to travel to Durham.

Thanks for the reply

If you contact them then they might be able to provide financial assistance to travel for a visit (and sometimes low cost accommodation too).

Lots of universities offer this but often you have to ask.
Original post by DDyhh4
Thanks so much for you reply

In regards to the college system, how likely is it that I'll get my first choice? I selected all the colleges that were self catering and without formal dinners.

Also, what is the night life like? What do you tend to do on a Friday night?

Thanks again
i got my fifth choice, but i think no matter where you end up you’ll be alright. i put all the bailey colleges in my first four spots which a lot of people do, so that’s probs why i got my fifth. though, i do think it’s true that the posher people get picked for the bailey…. lol. you will most likely get into one of the colleges you placed higher up if you’re happy without formals and self catering. i think there tends to be less people going for those - i’m just guessing.

nightlife is pretty good. i’m not from a city so it’s better than where my home town is anyway. it always feels safe imo. my group of friends usually do a college bar crawl as it’s cheap and then hit one of the clubs. it’s pretty much always packed but that’s part of the appeal for me personally.

no prob :-)

Quick Reply

Latest