The Student Room Group

Was what I did wrong that my father had to slap me?

I’m female(16) and this is what happened. During dinner today my father was eating first like usual. My mother was serving him dinner while I read a book at the table. But it really irritated me how my father kept ordering my mother around and taking advantage of the service she was kindly providing for him.
He would ask for each thing one after the other which really got to me. I saw the tired look on my mother’s face but she didn’t say anything.
So I decided to speak out and told my father to get the things himself if he wanted.
This really provoked my father and he immediately got up and slapped me in the face. He called me disrespectful for shaming him like that. He said if I really cared about my mother then I would’ve served him dinner instead of reading a lousy book. He told me that I should watch my mouth as a girl and that it would be highly beneficial for my future.
My mother agreed and nodded to every word he said which really upset me because I initially spoke on her behalf. Was what I did wrong?
Reply 1
Nothing u did was wrong. U were speaking up for ur mother as u knew what she was doing was unecessary and that ur father could have easily done it himself. However for some reason, moms dont like to speak up and tend to agree with the dad bcos they usually dont have the guts to risk disagreeing. Dont feel bad about what u did, anybody should be grateful to have a daughter who cares for their wellbeing. as for ur father, he clearly didnt like the fact that soemone was challenging the way he likes things done. seems like he only likes things to be done his way. I get that ur probably not feeling good about the entire situation, so if you would rather not experience it again, as bad as it sounds, u may have to let ur mom choose to speak up for herself if she ever even wants to otherwise ur dad is just gonna take it out on u again. i'm assuming he often reacts this way when things arent the way he likes/wants them to be?...
There is no excuse for violence - it can never be justified.

What your father did to you is a criminal offence.
Original post by Hana288
I’m female(16) and this is what happened. During dinner today my father was eating first like usual. My mother was serving him dinner while I read a book at the table. But it really irritated me how my father kept ordering my mother around and taking advantage of the service she was kindly providing for him.
He would ask for each thing one after the other which really got to me. I saw the tired look on my mother’s face but she didn’t say anything.
So I decided to speak out and told my father to get the things himself if he wanted.
This really provoked my father and he immediately got up and slapped me in the face. He called me disrespectful for shaming him like that. He said if I really cared about my mother then I would’ve served him dinner instead of reading a lousy book. He told me that I should watch my mouth as a girl and that it would be highly beneficial for my future.
My mother agreed and nodded to every word he said which really upset me because I initially spoke on her behalf. Was what I did wrong?

Its because you did the right thing and your father didnt like how he realised he was in the wrong and just put the blame on someone else. There was a time in my life where i was in the same boat as you.
"watch your mouth as a girl" next time you record that and send it to his manager and see how it goes lol. who does he think he is. As for your mother, shes probably only agreeing because she doesnt want you getting hurt/ the situation escalating further.
If you get along with your mother, be by her side, you'll feel mush safer instead of being by the side. If this happens regularly, talk to ur mum about it in private, tell her that ur uncomfortable abt it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending