The Student Room Group

Doing both history and Ancient history? At A level

Is it advisable? Also my school now has a new 3 A level policy, so I would be doing History, Ancient History and Geography
Please help!
Pointless.

It will be regarded as effectively one subject - even for applying for History at Uni.

Pick one History -and do something like Politics/Sociology or Classics/English alongside it.
This would give you a solid base for applying for any Arts/Humanities/Social Science course at Uni

Advice on applying for History at Uni : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/History_Degree
Reply 2
Original post by sydneybridge
Pointless.

It will be regarded as effectively one subject - even for applying for History at Uni.

Pick one History -and do something like Politics/Sociology or Classics/English alongside it.
This would give you a solid base for applying for any Arts/Humanities/Social Science course at Uni

Advice on applying for History at Uni : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/History_Degree

Thanks! Tbh I was only half-considering it but this has definitely put me off :tongue:. The other subjects I was considering alongside History/ Geography were Politics, Economics, English lit or Physics
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 1209ll
Thanks! Tbh I was only half-considering it but this has definitely put me off :tongue:. The other subjects I was considering alongside History/ Geography were Politics, Economics, English lit and Physics

You only need 4 AS subjects and 3 A2 subjects.

No UK Uni asks for more than this - and AAA is way better than BBBBC because you took on too much and couldnt do any of the subjects properly.

You need to think about subjects you might study at Uni and have a look at the admissions requirements for courses at a variety of different Unis (they will all ask for different grades/subjects) - this will help you decide sensible subjects. Another useful article : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_guide_to_choosing_your_sixth-form_subjects
Reply 4
You only need 4 AS subjects and 3 A2 subjects.

No UK Uni asks for more than this - and AAA is way better than BBBBC because you took on too much and couldnt do any of the subjects properly.

You need to think about subjects you might study at Uni and have a look at the admissions requirements for courses at a variety of different Unis (they will all ask for different grades/subjects) - this will help you decide sensible subjects. Another useful article : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_guide_to_choosing_your_sixth-form_subjects

Noooo what I meant was I was considering those subjects, so I would do one of those 4, not all of them :tongue: sorry, I should have worded it better
Original post by 1209ll
Thanks! Tbh I was only half-considering it but this has definitely put me off :tongue:. The other subjects I was considering alongside History/ Geography were Politics, Economics, English lit and Physics

History Geography and economics would be quite good

Maths with that would be great
Reply 6
Original post by L'Evil Fish
History Geography and economics would be quite good

Maths with that would be great

They're only letting us do 3 due to the A level changes. + I'm only a low A/ B student at IGCSE maths
Any ideas what you want to study at Uni?

If you are still clueless on this point (most people will be) then go for subjects you know you enjoy - because these are the ones that will a) give you highest grades and b) be the most fun to study. Dont back off from 'new' subjects like Law and Sociology - look at the course work/books etc and think carefully about what you might find interesting.
Reply 8
Any ideas what you want to study at Uni?

If you are still clueless on this point (most people will be) then go for subjects you know you enjoy - because these are the ones that will a) give you highest grades and b) be the most fun to study. Dont back off from 'new' subjects like Law and Sociology - look at the course work/books etc and think carefully about what you might find interesting.

Thanks for the advice :tongue:. At this point I don't know what I want to do, but either history, law or psychology would be very interesting. The problem is my school doesn't do many of the 'newer' A levels such as Psychology, or I would definitely be taking it. I've looked around at some Psychology degrees and many want a science, preferably Biology, but tbh I'm not the best at Biology and don't enjoy it, so it's sort of not an option.
Sorry for the rambling and thanks again :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest