The Student Room Group

History or Ancient History Alevel

I need to confirm my alevel choices this week and i have no clue whether to pick history (aqa, Tudors + Democracy and Nazism) or Ancient History (ocr). Neither taster lessons helped me to decide

Those who have studied them - what are they like and what do you reccomend?
Original post by ginge33
I need to confirm my alevel choices this week and i have no clue whether to pick history (aqa, Tudors + Democracy and Nazism) or Ancient History (ocr). Neither taster lessons helped me to decide

Hi @ginge33

I didn't study the AQA history a level, but I did study the Tudors for mine and I really enjoyed it. I liked it mostly as I'd done lots of work about the Tudors throughout school but it was refreshing to look at the subject at a higher level for my A Levels.

Ancient History can be very interesting too of course. I would suggest thinking about whether you have a personal interest in either topics? Or have you studied some of them before lower down in school and you want to try something different? Either one you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

I'm not too sure how the exams differ between exam boards, maybe you could have a look for some past papers online to see if you like the type of questions in the exams?

Hope this helps.
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Reply 2
Original post by ginge33

I am in year 12 and currently do both Ancient and normal history.
Ancient History is a lot more interesting ,as the greek side is full of battles from the Peleponessian and Persian wars as well as learning about Myths and in the Rome side really learning about the madness of the emperors, also in my class there are only 3 people and therefore it is more easier to ask for help .However for ancient History there is a lot of Source analysis and a limited amount of them.In the beginning they are hard to read but you get used to it.
Although History is not that interesting , You still cover a wider range of Topics .Modern and Medieval.My school personally did Pitt to peel and Cold War and I found both of them extremely boring but are easy.Also in the 30 marker source question for History it is also source analysis and this is where ancient History helped me a lot in .
My advice would be to ideally take both if you can handle it,I am so far doing completely fine.History is easier but much more boring and Ancient History is a lot more interesting and it stands out when applying for unis because a lot of people don't take it but more harder.
I hope this helped

Quick Reply

Latest