The Student Room Group

Is this appropriate by British media amid a rise of anti-semitism and 70th

anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz?

It's worth noting that Sky news is now majority owned by Qatar and the political editor is Faisal Islam.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4620902,00.html

Sky news airs Gaza war images during Holocaust segment

After BBC sparked uproar when it asked viewers whether it was time to 'lay the Holocaust to rest,' another British TV network raises ire with controversial choice of footage to air with its 'Auschwitz Remembered' segment.

While the BBC was asking its viewers whether it was "Is the time coming to lay the Holocaust to rest?" Sky News decided to draw a link between the Holocaust and the summer war in Gaza by airing images of destruction in Gaza in a segment dedicated to the International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

In a discussion on anti-Jewish sentiments, Boulton said that "many people would say that the behavior of the state of Israel, unfortunately, its attitude towards the Palestinians, has poured fuel on anti-Semitism."
While Rabbi Mirvis was responding to Boulton's claims, noting that anti-Semitism has existed long before Israel's establishment and that many of the anti-Zionist sentiments are affected by anti-Semitic ones, images from the wreckage in the Gaza Strip of the summer's war were shown.

The timing of the question was particularly shocking in the wake of growing levels of anti-Semitism in Europe, the recent terror attacks in Paris and the ongoing fear felt by Jews in Europe. Last week, a study found that a quarter of young British Jews believe another Holocaust will take place during their lifetime.

So during a time of rising anti-semitism and the last big commemoration of the Auschwitz liberation (the survivors will all have passed away by the time the next big commemoration takes place) why would the BBC and Sky act this way?

Why are we not being asked to "lay WW1 to rest" and stop doing the annual silence and poppy stuff?

Why are we not being told to lay any other part of WWII to rest other than the Holocaust?

Why are the Dambusters still celebrated?

Why is it only Jews should lay their past to rest? half of their people annihilated and they should "lay it to rest" whilst every other groups are allowed to commemorate?

And who on earth other than a Qatari-occupied British news channel would think it's appropriate to show pictures of Gaza for the Auschwitz commemoration?

And this comes after another BBC leftist idiot Tim Willcox harangues a French Jewish lady during the peace march in Paris about Israeli policy.

Absolutely disgusting how the left wing and Islamist axis of evil have been allowed to treat Jews. No wonder they're fleeing in their thousands.
(edited 9 years ago)
I tend to try and ignore the m**gs who try and link the holocaust with the gaza conflict.
Reply 2
Whats their political editor got to do with any of this? Sure it's tasteless, likely more to do with someone screwing up on the immediate level. Rather than some sort of Islamist conspiracy which you are trying to present it as.
Original post by MatureStudent36
I tend to try and ignore the m**gs who try and link the holocaust with the gaza conflict.

To commemorate Auschwitz with pictures of Gaza in the background is spectacularly offensive and utterly repulsive in what they're trying to do i.e compare the industrial murder of a race to a summer conflict which in terms of global conflicts was a skirmish. Fewer than half the casualties of the war in Ukraine.

This isn't some poxy leftist newspaper or something. We're talking about Sky news and BBC.

Unbelievable what we have become.
Don't know if it should be all about Jews, many people got killed or hurt and they weren't necessarily of Jewish origin. I don't know if everything we're told happened did happen but no matter if 6 million people died or less (the numbers seem a bit exaggerated to me...) it's still an awful thing. On the other hand I don't know why we remember German crimes but no one cares about all the people who died because of Stalin or Mao Zedong? Still, I don't think we should forget the Holocaust, we should remember many more atrocities though so that they never happen again...
Reply 5
Original post by LockheedSpooky
Why is it only Jews should lay their past to rest? half of their people annihilated and they should "lay it to rest" whilst every other groups are allowed to commemorate?.

Is English your first language?

I only ask because it seems you have misunderstood the meaning, and order, of the sentence.

"is the time right...?" is a very different thing to "the time is right".

And simply, the answer is no.

No need to kick up a fuss.
I've sent a complaint to OFcom

I would suggest if you think this is an abhorrent attempt to shoehorn the Palestinian issue into the holocaust I'd recommend everyone do the same
Original post by Aj12
Whats their political editor got to do with any of this? Sure it's tasteless, likely more to do with someone screwing up on the immediate level. Rather than some sort of Islamist conspiracy which you are trying to present it as.

And here we have the true mind of a leftist apologist ^^^^

Making excuses for people who themselves have admitted no mistake.

Much like how the left insist on being the translation mouthpiece of palestinions.

palestinian: "I want to kill Jews"
Aj12: "what he means is that he would like to end the occupation"

palestinian: "I want to slaughter all Jews and take all of Israel
Aj12: "It sounds worse when translated because Arabic is a flowery-descriptive language. What he means is that he wants to end the occpuation"

Sky News purposely post Gaza images during Holocaust remembrance segment.

Aj12: "it was probably a mistake by a media student in the gallery"
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
And here we have the true mind of a leftist apologist ^^^^

Making excuses for people who themselves have admitted no mistake.

Much like how the left insist on being the translation mouthpiece of palestinions.

palestinian: "I want to kill Jews"
Aj12: "what he means is that he would like to end the occupation"

palestinian: "I want to slaughter all Jews and take all of Israel
Aj12: "It sounds worse when translated because Arabic is a flower-descriptive language. What he means is that he wants to end the occpuation"

Sky News purposely post Gaza images during Holocaust remembrance segment.

Aj12: "it was probably a mistake by a media student in the gallery"

Right well when your ready to have a mature debate feel free to write another reply.
Original post by Drewski
Is English your first language?

I only ask because it seems you have misunderstood the meaning, and order, of the sentence.

"is the time right...?" is a very different thing to "the time is right".

And simply, the answer is no.

No need to kick up a fuss.

Why do you think the question is inferring?

How come we don't have these questions regarding WW1?

2 minutes silence , poppies, marches, royal family, half of London grinds to a halt.

It was so long ago. Let's "lay it to rest"

:rolleyes:

A disgusting question to ask and deliberately timed to cause offence.
Why do you think the question is inferring?

How come we don't have these questions regarding WW1?

2 minutes silence , poppies, marches, royal family, half of London grinds to a halt.

It was so long ago. Let's "lay it to rest"

:rolleyes:

A disgusting question to ask and deliberately timed to cause offence.

Those questions are asked.

And they get the same answer:

No.

And people get on with their lives. As should you. You are deliberately getting overoffended and are, frankly, just as bad as the people you are trying to rail against.
(edited 9 years ago)
The war in Gaza is relevant to the Holocaust: it's part of the ongoing struggle of the Jewish people, not so helpless as they were before, to combat those who would like to finish the job.
"Sir Winston Churchill's funeral marked 50 years on"

The boat that carried Sir Winston Churchill's coffin along the Thames in 1965 has made the same journey to mark the 50th anniversary of his funeral. Members of the Churchill family were aboard the Havengore, which travelled to Westminster in central London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31041370

For goodness sake. He's been dead 50 years. Time to lay his death to rest?

Where are the BBC programs about forgetting Churchill?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending