The Student Room Group

GCSE revision

Is it too late to start? I mean I've started taking notes but I don't really remember it all in detail plus I'm somewhat behind in my schedule :frown: To those who have taken it already when did you guys start? What did you do from now until the run-up to exams? Any hindsight so share?
I started revising 2 weeks before my exams. Looking back it wasn't a very good idea haha

It's not too late to start, but I guess after/before February half term is a good time to start revising.

Practise papers really helps because most questions are pretty similar every year.
Reply 2
Original post by peanutbutterjam
I started revising 2 weeks before my exams. Looking back it wasn't a very good idea haha

It's not too late to start, but I guess after/before February half term is a good time to start revising.

Practise papers really helps because most questions are pretty similar every year.

Agreed, looking at old physics papers the fact that some questions are copied word for word into newer past papers is striking and a fact which you should exploit.

Try different methods of revising: flashcards, videos, questions.

I prefer the 'annotated specification' approach for sciences; write the specification down, and as you go along, research the parts (there are many!) where the specification doesn't go into enough details. For simple definitions remembering the exact definition provided on the specification is the safest option.
Original post by AnimeFreak101
Is it too late to start? I mean I've started taking notes but I don't really remember it all in detail plus I'm somewhat behind in my schedule :frown: To those who have taken it already when did you guys start? What did you do from now until the run-up to exams? Any hindsight so share?

I generally did very little revision, but definitely do not recommend it.

I neglected revision in maths and the sciences because I was fully confident in my competence in this area (I got A*s in all of these subjects). This simply does not come naturally to a whole lot of people and I would never recommend leaving this to chance. This changed at A-level, wherein I felt more of a hearty challenge than what GCSE presented me with.

In fact, a particular reason as to why I neglected revision here was because I was much more concerned with revising a) my weaker foreign language subjects, and b) the subjects which are more variant in their theory and practice, like ICT and geography. Skewing your revision in favour of your weaker areas is a crucial thing to get the hang of, but don't take it too far like I probably did in hindsight.

Those maths and science exams could've caught me off guard without preparation. To some degree, I was simply lucky they didn't.
Original post by AnimeFreak101

A HUGE amount of people start revising at Easter time and do incredibly well. So don't worry too much, but if you want to start now then there's no reason not to.
Original post by peanutbutterjam

Original post by flibber
Agreed, looking at old physics papers the fact that some questions are copied word for word into newer past papers is striking and a fact which you should exploit.

Try different methods of revising: flashcards, videos, questions.

I prefer the 'annotated specification' approach for sciences; write the specification down, and as you go along, research the parts (there are many!) where the specification doesn't go into enough details. For simple definitions remembering the exact definition provided on the specification is the safest option.

I don't rely much on holidays procrastination is my biggest enemy :colondollar: I do plan to start past papers closer to the exam like mid March to April and I will of course save papers for the week before the exam. I should definitely be done with all my subjects by mid March I think [well apart from History and ICT revision for them are LOOOONNNGGG! But I'll try]
Original post by Strom
A HUGE amount of people start revising at Easter time and do incredibly well. So don't worry too much, but if you want to start now then there's no reason not to.

That's probably because most schools by now have learnt most of the content. My school is incredibly stupid. They proposed staying after school coming in a month before the exam from early in the morning till the evening to learn triple [when you should be revising for other subjects. I ofc did not take the bait, so now one's doing triple].

I had to switch to ICT at the beginning of year 11 instead of continuing with Computer Science because the teacher that was really good at it left and the one that proposed the idea [the head of ICT] couldn't do it himself so instead forcibly had us change to ICT whilst also abandoning his other 'troublesome class' [or 'rather lesser half of our year' as he prefers to call them] to a new ICT teacher who has NO CLUE what's going on! Leaving them to fail.

This is just the surface of their stupidity. I could go on, but I won't -_-
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
it's never to late you have plenty of time just don't start revising two weeks before the exam it's best to start now so don't worry and yeah practice past papers trust me they help a lot!!! good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest